• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Fsmlittler

If I'd Wanted A Bloody Kangaroo I'd Have Emigrated

Fsmlittler

I have searched endlessly for help and tried all sorts but still can't get my 92 1.9 GTi to run properly. It starts fine and ticks over with a little bit of hunting and runs fine on wide open throttle. But on a very light steady throttle it kangaroos. I've replaced the coil and the Lambda sensor and checked for air leaks. Tonight I removed the AFM and there were tracks on the carbon but I couldn't see how to remove the pick up to change the alignment. I gave the tracks a clean and they didn't seem that bad but it made no difference.

I have had a really good look on here which is how I came to the above ideas but now I'm stumped and its driving me mad.

Please somebody give me a clue.

Chris

petert

Sorry, we're full now anyway.

• Like 1

Miles

If it's on Motronic it should run very well which I guess you have, Check the ECU for fault codes

Fsmlittler

How do I check fault codes-is there an OBD port?

Miles

No chance, you'll find a 2 pin JPT plug for the Diagnostic's to plug into, Only older readers will work thou or I think they maybe a manual way to do it

MikeC

Think there is a way of doing flash codes but you may have to refer to the Haynes Workshop manual for it.

Fsmlittler

Thanks ill try and rig up a fault code checker when I get some spare time but I have now re-tracked the AFM, replaced the coil and replaced the Lambda sensor and its still very jerky on a very light throttle and hunts at tick over. Is reading the ecu fault codes going to really help? I was really hoping someone would say ' I've had that problem and it was....'

Help its driving me mad

welshpug

have you checked the throttle switch and that the resistance readings coming from the AFM make sense?

Fsmlittler

Readings from the AFM seemed ok but I haven't checked the throttle switch yet- I'm going to try that next . I'm still suspicious that I might have an air leak somewhere as its fine on large throttle openings.

Miles

Plastic or Alloy inlet manifold?

Fsmlittler

Alloy manifold.

Carbs4me

When i had an air leak from the inlet gasket, it would run fine on the spot, drive pretty fine with the odd flat spot, but when the revs got to the higher range it was like having loads of power to the engine giving none very briefly, then you would get it all back again.

I have you tryed your thottle cable once mine was too tight and it would get pulled by the engine when driving! but usually you can feel the play in the pedal when it does that, but its worth a look at in my opinion

Fsmlittler

Thanks but that isn't the same as my problem...hunting at tickover, kangarooing on a very light constant throttle but absolutely fine at WOT.

welshpug

I've got an AFR gauge on my pug, and it was running a bit lean, richening up the idle afr smoothed it out.

However when the map sensor pipe cracked and it was running VERY rich, it would kangaroo like a bastard!