• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rapiddave

Mi16 Different Piston Type Question

Rapiddave

Hi guys

kinda new to this site so be nice - lol

just recently stripped my 205 mi to change the liner seals as i had a trickle of water running into the sump, i took the liners and pistons out and whilst out decided to give the pistons a bit of a clean up only to notice i had 3x pistons which were stamped with an ''x'' and 1x piston which was flat on the top which had a ''z'' on the top - question is - is this normal to had 3 of one piston and 1 of another ?

Anthony

No. My guess would be that someone's replaced one at some point, probably a complete rod/piston due to spinning a shell.

The Z and X stamped pistons differ in compression and are from the non-CAT (D6C) and CAT (DFW) engines, with 10.4:1 and 9.7:1 respectively.

I'd strongly suggest fitting a matching set, ideally all Z marked from the non-CAT 160hp engine.

Rapiddave

any ideas as to where i'd pick up some of these ? or maybe an upgrade ? i have seen a set of 85mm pistons for sale but would i need to change the rods and liners ?

petert

Wow, that's a balls up. Three cylinders running at 9.7:1 and one at 10.4:1.

Rapiddave

not had the car that long - had no idea till i stripped it down

Rapiddave

A mate of mine seems to think I might start getting running issues if I change the pistons , is this correct ? He also said that although mine seems to have different pistons it did run perfectly fine so why change them ?

Edited by Rapiddave

allanallen

Is that a serious question? Your mate knows f*** all clearly, change the pistons.

• Like 2

Rapiddave

Will do , Cheers for the help , another question I need to ask is that when fitting the new liner seals do I need any other sealant as well or are the seals good enough on the own ?

Anthony

They should be OK on their own, although something like Wellseal doesn't hurt. However, that's assuming that the liner seats haven't corroded...

Rapiddave

Sorry should have said , I got new seals to go in , also just incase this crossed your mind , it is the 1st time I have ever stripped and rebuilt an engine so anymore rebuild tips would be handy , cheers for all you help so far mate

Edited by Rapiddave

Rapiddave

Also if I change the x pistons to z pistons will I need to do/change anything else ?

welshpug

Other than new rings, nothing.

Rapiddave

And what piston rings would I need ? Standard ? Sorry I'm a newbi

Edited by Rapiddave

Rapiddave

just been looking through all the pics i took whilst stripping and cleaning it and think i have actually got all ''Z'' on the pistons - not to sure where i've got the ''x'' form tho so gonna have to check in the morn and determine which pistons i have actually got - wow - feeling pretty thick right now - specially if they are all the same