• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mang

Wilwood Brakes

mang

Been looking in to a set of midilite wilwood just wondering if anyone els has these and what they think of them?

Bigbadbowen

Been looking in to a set of midilite wilwood just wondering if anyone els has these and what they think of them?

I was thinking the same ? Does anywhere sell as a kit form ?

mang

Yeah ive found a place but you have to buy pads sep

Bigbadbowen

Yeah ive found a place but you have to buy pads sep

Do tell ? I could only find calipers ?

welshpug

rallydesign do a kit, but it uses their own 285mm disc which is a bit expensive as a replacement, there was a batch of brackets made on the 306gti6 forum to use the same caliper over an o.e 283x22mm 306/xsara brake disc instead.

afaik the pad is a generic AP pattern and relatively cheap for standard pads.

mang

Motorsport tools.com :-)

Batfink

Do those calipers still flex or is that another wilwood?

• Like 2

mang

Would you go with the 285 or the 310 would it realy make that much diffrence? Does in price lol

custard-rallye

I have a complete set just need braided lines rallydesign can make a set for £30

mang

What ones? Il might buy them if ur selling

DanteICE

Do those calipers still flex or is that another wilwood?

So true!

Miles

By far from the best, once you have used AP & Brembo, wilwood are well .. :(​

Bigbadbowen

By far from the best, once you have used AP & Brembo, wilwood are well .. :(​

Hmm thought that might be the case - get what you pay for I guess.

DanteICE

Just search for Wilwood flex, there are videos out there. Some people will moan about most of these companies because they've had a bad batch or customer service issues. I've heard Hi-spec stuff is good and then I've heard others say it's rubbish and the customer service leaves a lot to be desired? You'll never get a definitive answer unless there is some evidence to back it up.

AP Racing is your best bet. But be prepared to pay for it!

What are peoples opinions on Hi-spec for that matter? a lot of the Ford guys stand by them.

Geoff

allanallen

I've got hi-spec r114s mounted on 266mm 206/306 discs on my 309. They're very very light, theyre un-servo'd and stopping power is pretty good really. They do wear the leading edge of the pad quicker, wether this is flex I don't know. Good calipers for the money though and use a very common pad so 1155s and the like are only about £70.

I've found hi-spec customer service pretty good to be honest.

I also have a set of APs, same pad as the hi specs mounted on a 285 belled disc. they're the bollocks they really are but as mentioned its probably 7-800 quids worth to buy,even second hand.

brumster

You'll be hard pushed to find someone who runs (or has run) enough of a cross-section of types to make a serious back to back comparison. I've ran AP's in various guises for years now and you would never get me trying anything like Willwoods and Hi-Specs and, likewise, those who generally buy Willwoods are on a budget and will never end up sampling the likes of AP/Alcon.

But it's horses for courses, of course. My brakes get some pretty serious use and it can almost be a matter of life and death with them really - I put a lot of trust in them. Things are a bit different for someone doing a bit of drag racing and fast road driving, and I wouldn't suggest they go and spunk their wad on £2k's worth of APs just for the sake of it.

A mate runs Willwoods on his Nova rally car - the one thing I will say is the standard pads he had were s*ite. I convinced him to move to Performance Friction and he's a happy chap now.

So it's not just the calipers - think discs (particularly in terms of material quality) and pads too.

rallyeash

had Hi Spec before and had no issues atall.

welshpug

Its also choosing the right caliper for the car.

custard-rallye

Its the midilite ones mang pm me a offer

mang

What size are they I did pm you :-)

custard-rallye

Just replied