• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
starky5

1.5 Dci Clio

starky5

A bit different to the normal things I see on the forum but I thought someone might have the knowledge I'm after! I recently bought the girlfriend a 2004 clio 1.5 dci as a run about. Now I cheap as the owner told me they thought the gearbox was shout as it had no reverse, 1st or 2nd, this turned out to just be the gear linkage so was a nice cheap fix Winner I thought! However not being able to test drive it meant I didn't discover that when you accelerate you black out the world behind you with blue smoke! I have changed the turbo and its made no difference so from what I've read it sound like the piston rings are shot.

Does anyone have any knowledge of these engines? I got the car cheap enough that its worth spending a bit on but I'm reluctant to buy a second hand engine as I wont really know the history and engines with 80,000/90,000 on them seem to be fetching £450! So I'm doing a bit of research into a rebuild, hence this thread! I'm happy to strip the engine out the car and if the internals were simple enough (in terms of shimming things when it goes back together) i would be happy to have a go at the rebuild. But if I took it anywhere does anyone know an educated guess of cost for a rebuild? I know its a case of how long is a piece of string as until its apart you don't know what's worn or how badly it's worn, but I'm just after a very rough guide.

Thanks in advance for any help

Andrew

pugdamo

Is it definatly blue smoke?these engines are quite prone to sticking rings,weve had a few at work,weve managed to cure them with soaking the bores with engine flush overnight,does it start ok?

GilesW

Think I heard the egr valves cause issues with these engines. Could it be something to do with that?

Edited by GilesW

starky5

Yea it's definitely blue smoke and I've tried putting engine flush down through the bores and it hasn't made a difference. I think the EGR valve is playing up but I don't see how that would cause blue smoke and noticeable oil loss, not really sure what an EGR valve does though!

O and its starts and runs alright, sometimes the turbo won't kick in until 3500 rpm instead of the normal 2000/2500 rpm

Edited by starky5

welshpug

Egr would be black smoke, make up a blanking plate for that and see if it mskes a difference, i found the hdi to boost a lot earlier and harder, however it really doesnt smoke at all.