• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
EvanB

89 405 Mi16 No Start

EvanB

I have an 89 405 Mi16. It has been running great up until recently. I was driving it to the store and it died about a mile or two from my house. It cranks but won't start. After sitting for about 15 minutes it started up for around 10 seconds then died again. I towed it home and let it sit for a few days.

I went out yesterday to try to start it and it started right up and ran great for about 10 seconds then just died. After that it would crank but not start.

Any places to start looking? Common failures that would cause these symptoms?

starky5

I had a very similar problem with the mi engine in my 205, turned out to be one of the relays under the bonnet was dodgy. Not sure where it is located on the 405 but on my conversion it's one of 2 relays that sit near the strut top on the drivers side. You can swap it for one of the normal 4 prong green relays to see if it solves the problem

EvanB

I'm thinking it may be the crank position sensor. When I can get it running and it dies the tach will drop to zero then the car dies. When I crank it and it doesn't start the tach will not move.

starky5

I thought it might have been crank sensor on mine but people said to check the relays as I'm told its a common fault now there getting old. I was also told to check the connections to the relay as they can corrode. For the sake of a £5 relay it might be worth a try

Matt Holley

The tacho signal runs from the 4 pin plug on the coil.

Might be worth checking the connection on the coil.

pugman211

Also check the water temp sensor on the gearbox end of the block, If thats dodgy/broke/disconnected it will do the same