• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dirtdog

Xud Starter Motor

dirtdog

My last motor went sticky...had it lubed back up at a garage etc and a week later it started sticking again. I teded to park on hills/slopes where i could bump the car if needed...but the motor never stuck when i was parked somewhere i could bump it. It would then stick anytime I would park on the level ground and it knew that i would look like a right gimp rocking the car in gear and unsticking the starter motor <_<

I've since had a brand new motor fitted, It's only been..a year maybe..less than 10k and now the starter is starting to stick again. I would think about taking it off and giving it a quick look over and a wipe down etc but..don't think it'll do much good.

I'm wondering if it's the starter motor at fault or if there is something else caushing it. It started this morning with a little trouble. It spluttered into life and blew a thin cloud on pale smoke...it usually starts first time with no hesitation but does sometimes once in a blue moon spit a bit of smoke out.

I know the valve clearances on the xuds..and apparently the xud7 in particular close up..thinking maybe this could be my problem.

Any advice or information is much appreciated, thanks.

welshpug

quite likely to be a similar issue to the gti's in that the solenoid wire breaks down with age and causes a voltage drop, the thick blue number 46.

check the voltage at the wire, if you do have anything lower than battery voltage you need to replace the wire back to where it enters the engine bay, on most gti's at the brown plugs by the steering column, usually but not always the wire inside the cabin is fine.

dirtdog

cheers mei, will check that out

bicyclerepairman

What are the symptoms when it sticks? My XUD7 does something similar - every now and then (usually when trying to re-start when the engine is hot), it won't start. There's a click from the engine bay when I turn it over, but nothing else happens. And yes, I look a right gimp with one leg out of the car, trying to rock it in gear (this seems to free something up, and then I can start it normally).