• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
shalmaneser

Fitted New Battery But Still Slow To Turn Over?

shalmaneser

I've just bought a monster 520 cA battery but she's still hesitant to start. I'm convinced it's not the wiring, and I guess it must be the starter? Does this sound right? Starting to piss me off now.

Edited by shalmaneser

welshpug

start by confirming the wiring, otherwise it's probably the starter unless you have a weeping headgasket filling the bores up with almost incompressible coolant...

hattjosh

I had this with my gti-6 conversion, it turned out to be a bad earth to the block.

I confirmed it by attaching a jump lead from the neg on the battery to a shiny bit of metal on the block, if it starts ok its a bad earth.

It could also be a bad positive supply to the starter so you could do the jump lead thing to the supply terminal on the starter from the pos side of the battery.

hope that made sense :blink:

205turbo

I would agree with the above. If you have a jump lead added it to the block and directly to the earth on the battery and see if it turns over quicker

GilesW

Caution - attach positive to starter FIRST, then connect oteh rend to battery, otherwise it's far to easy to touch earth on teh way to conencting it to the starter (and you ending up touching cloth)

shalmaneser

I've tried the jump lead to the negative terminal thing and it's no different. I can't see how to do positive to starter though, the bloody thing is hidden too far away!

hattjosh

Rather than put it on the starter terminal you can put it on the largest supply wire from the alternator because that is linked directly to the starter iirc. If you do do that only run the starter for a few seconds because the wire from the alternator is slightly smaller than the one supplying the starter.