• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
scottbarton

Induction Kit......or Not?

scottbarton

Looking at buying a K&N induction kit.....found one for £76. What are for and against arguments you guys have experienced?

Bang for bucks....is it worth it?

welshpug

it makes it easier to work on the engine, but that's about it, I actually prefer mine as standard.

Certainly better things to spend your £76 on.

Edited by welshpug

amusingadam

it makes it easier to work on the engine, but that's about it, I actually prefer mine as standard.

Certainly better things to spend your £76 on.

you cant say it better than that

Miles

You can find loads of SH ones from around £10.00, save a few quid as like me you get loads left over from 16v conversions

88lp

Yep, lets you work on most things like dizzy, sad etc without removing anything. Eliminates any perished oe ducting possibly causing air leaks. Sounds great under accel.

No performance difference noted on my standard motor. Worth a shot on a cheaper second hand kit imho just for a laugh at the noise.

Batfink

I fit them simply for the sound

d7ve_b

I'd like a second hand one, just can't seem to find one at a decent price with all the brackets/gubbins....

AlexRS2782

I fitted a brand new one about 2 months ago, which included all the brackets, new filter, etc, but only because I got it for a mad price of £20 delivered from an eBay seller who'd listed it wrongly for a 206 in his description. I wouldn't have paid the new price for one, as you can normally pick up the rubber hose on here or auction sites from about £10, and the filter itself can be picked up for similar, albeit in need of a clean. You just need to fabricate a bracket to secure the AFM to the battery tray securing bolt, as most of the used kits won't have them.

I'm sure there was also a guide on the main forum on here detailing how you can make your own induction hose out of an o.e induction hose :)

As others have said, it makes it far easier under the bonnet, especially when i'd removed & was cleaning the SAD & hoses the other week. Also made it much easier accessing all the manifold / downpipe nuts/fittings/etc, when I was having my OMP exhaust fitted, without having to pay for the labour to remove & refit the original airbox :)

Best of all I even managed to it the induction kit myself, which is saying something :D

scottbarton

Thanks for the replies chaps....so based on aesthetics, ease of working in the engine bay and a throaty induction sound...I will go for it. Will have a look for a good 2nd hand one although the idea of a brand new one is appealing.

:-)

Simes

If you have the original airbox - keep it safe.

I sold one a few years back for £30 - I imagine now they are worth about 5 million!

MikeC

I have one going spare after i removed it from my car to put back in the original system.

It has the pipe with the two fittings and the cone filter (Pipercross i think).

The filter may need a clean though.

It's free to whoever once you cover postage.

Mike

scottbarton

I have one going spare after i removed it from my car to put back in the original system.

It has the pipe with the two fittings and the cone filter (Pipercross i think).

The filter may need a clean though.

It's free to whoever once you cover postage.

Mike

Hi Mike

You have PM

MikeC

received and replied

d7ve_b

Anyone else got a free one! Lol

madspikes

I thought for a long time that the induction kits just ended up being a warm air intake, but I was wrong. After some tests with my setup, I found when the car was moving they got plenty of cold air. However when stopped, air intake temp went through the roof!

I'd would have thought a good quality air filter would be something add into the cost.

Just my thoughts.

Mad

scottbarton

Just an update...fitted the kit and have been using it for the last few days. I am pleased i did it.

It has released a lot of space in the engine bay enabling me to get to parts that i could not clean, and i like the 'throaty' sound under acceleration.

Original box and pipes are in excellent condition so gave them a good clean and stored away safely in case i change it back.

Thanks for all the tips and advice peeps.

:)

GLPoomobile

Original box and pipes are in excellent condition so gave them a good clean and stored away safely in case i change it back.

Good call. Definitely hang on to those.

AlexRS2782

Yeah definitely hang onto the o.e bits - I did with mine - gave them a clean & stored them away for the future if I change back :)

So much easier to get at bits in the engine bay as well - plus I also discovered my original manifold had a hairline crack in it as well, which I probably wouldn't have noticed had I not put the K&N on.

scottbarton

That's the next job....i have two cracks in mine, one either side. Now the big filter box is out of the way it does look an easier job.