• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
AlexRS2782

Coolant Exiting Header Tank Via Overflow Pipe - Headgasket?

DamirGTI

fan appeared to cut in correctly when I got home as well, however it sounded like it didn't when I was held up for an extended period at some roadworks along the way, so i'm going to get the fan & relay checked incase there is an intermittent connection & that was causing the last issue.

Ditch the fan speed resistor , and bridge the connections of the resistor connector terminals with an piece of wire .

That'll add faster engine cooling ... by ditching the resistor and bridging it's connector with an wire , you'll get cooling fan on full/highest speed every time when it kicks in ..

Only downside is , it'll be "louder" (cooling fan spinning noise ..)

Coolant exiting via overflow , sounds like pressure issue or rapidly increasing coolant temp. above the boiling point when the engine is turned off hot and coolant stops circulating .

If the cooling system is sealed and in known good order as you said (expansion bottle , bottle cap , pipework , joints , water pump etc.) , and it still leaks on the overflow or loses level inside the expansion bottle (even if it's "ever so slightly") - do a block test ASAP .

The coolant system must be properly bled , sealed and pressurized . If not localized boiling will occur within the system when you switch off engine while it's hot , leading to creating steam pockets which will eventually end as a worst case scenario with metal stress/cracking .

(i had a cracked liner because of this similar issue :ph34r: )

17740276ca4fb570b24a31823095879b255e9598

177402754c3c4537dbcf82435c0105b58c8b8de4

D

Edited by DamirGTI

AlexRS2782

Took it for another run today & no issues whatsoever :) Coolant levels staying fine, etc :)

I've got it booked in to have the starter changed though as it didn't want to start again today without a few taps of the motor. Besides the starter on it, is pretty much the only (possibly) original part left that I've put off changing over the years due to removing the inlet, etc, as the alternator, etc, are all recent so it seems sensible to get a newer one on now & also tidy any of the relevant electrical connections, wires, etc, up at the same time :)

Having had a better look today, I think while the inlet, starter, etc, are off, I may as well get a new rad fitted if the system is going to end up being bled & refilled again anyway. Current rad doesn't look that bad, but again it's one of the few parts I've not renewed in my ownership so it seems silly for only a small amount of ££ more not to do it tbh.

Good suggestion with the fan speed as well, might as well do that seeing as it looks like the connection is temperamental anyway :) Not too worried about it being louder, as chances are the OMP exhaust on the car will drown the sound of the fan out anyway lol

PhilNW

Before changing starter try testing with a direct feed off the battery to the solenoid terminal to see if it turns over worked for me ended up just replacing wire from ignition switch

Edited by PhilNW

Grim.Badger

I agree with PhilNW, I had intermittent staring issues on my current GTi despite having a new(er) starter motor which went away entirely when I replaced the wire all the way from the starter to the under-dash multiplug. Don't trust the engine bay multiplug if you still have it, it can look fine but I'll bet a lot of money that the connections and wires are knackered - the terminals don't have to have turned green to cause problems.

AlexRS2782

Yeah I've decided that i'm going to get the wiring for the ignition sorted at the same time as changing the other bits tbh :) I'm also getting the alarm system checked over incase it's the immobiliser also adding to any issues on that side of things. Also going to get the wiring, relays, etc checked on the radiator fan.

Got my new lower heater matrix hose through from Stew @ BBM, and just waiting on delivery of a new Nissens radiator and then i'll be getting the car booked in to get those fitted, so the car will get a full coolant change, and whilst that's done i'll get the thermostat checked as well to make sure that's still opening at the correct temp too.

AlexRS2782

Picked up the Nissens rad from Miles today, and the car had a good run down to him & back home with no issues & the fan kicked in when required with no overheating, etc, so i'm thinking it's just old wiring / connections not just related to the radiator but as expected the starter as well.

Either way the car is now booked in with Miles for Mid July to get a few bits & pieces done, amongst which will be the wiring / connections from the multi-plug will be getting replaced / sorted which should make the car nice & reliable and stop the niggles :)