• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
205monster

Cant Get Reverse Be3

205monster

i cant seem to get reverse. i have a be3 gearbox. all other gears are fine, and worked fine when gearbox was in other car. just makes a horrible noise.

ive fitted new linkages, and a adjusted them to the same legnth as the ones off the old car i took it out of.

the only thing different,its fitted in a car that had a be1 gearbox in it, but i cant imagen that would make any difference?

pug_ham

What else have you changed before fitting the Be3 into your car & did it come out of a 205?

Can you select 5th ok?

g

205monster

the gearbox was still attached to the engine,i just did an engine swap. the car is in the shed, so not drove it, but with it running all gears go in fine,apart from reverse. had new clutch cable, but clutch works fine, other then that the gearbox hasnt been touched,,had one drive shaft out, and filled it with oil. thats it.

pug_ham

You haven't refitted the lock out cable have you?

g

• Like 1

205monster

lock out cable? ive fitted nothing apart from the clutch cable. is the lock out cable fitted to be1 gear boxes to the lift up part of the handbrake cable?

205monster

oh and it seems to go into reverse when the car isnt running! could it be the length of the linkages?

welshpug

sounds like clutch adjustment in that case.

pug_ham

lock out cable? ive fitted nothing apart from the clutch cable. is the lock out cable fitted to be1 gear boxes to the lift up part of the handbrake cable?

The lock out cable is purely for the Be1 (or GTI-6 Be3-6) gearbox & operated by the collar on the gearstick, you don't need it on a Be3 box.

I only suggested it just incase you'd fitted it, although the gear pattern is different so I doubt it would block reverse in a Be3. :unsure:

g

S@m

Really sounds like clutch cable adjustment to me. Mine was struggling to go into reverse when warm recently, just adjusted the clutch cable and now all is fine.

Slo

could be wrong thrush/release bearing ive fitted a 405 mi16 clutch to my turbo engine and the bearing (tiny) was very different to the 205 1.9 one (larger)

205monster

ok, i can try the cable, but as i tighten it it lifts the clutch pedal higher and higher! but for a test i could do this.

yeah the cable has been removed for the be1 box.

also anyone know how to set up the linkages properly?

ive done a search but cant find anything.

205monster

the clutch cable didnt have any effort on the clutch at all. so i put in the car into reverse, then turned the key, and on first turn it was starting the car! so figured as i tried to go into reverse the grinding sound, was the starter trying to engage! ive removed the reverse light cable off the gear box, and reverse is fine!

could this be the switch, or wiring??

Slo

im more confused than you and your seeing what your doing what?

205monster

haha tell me about it! as im trying to get reverse with the reverse light switch connected, its engaging the starter motor! can only think it must be a wiring issue! but as you dont nned a reverse light to pass an mot, i might just leave it disconnected!

Jimbob square pants

Hi mate I'm very surprised I've come across this as my car is doing the exact same as your describing and I thought it was inside the gearbox but over time thinking about it when the car is in gear stationary clutch depressed nothing inside the box is moving so like you when I select reverse stationary the starter motor is engaging with the fast moving flywheel causing the horrendous grinding noise I can only think it's reverse switch sending the starter motor out I'm still to look into why this is doing it 

Did you manage to find your issue ?

Richie-Van-GTi
On 3/15/2024 at 5:51 AM, Jimbob square pants said:

Hi mate I'm very surprised I've come across this as my car is doing the exact same as your describing and I thought it was inside the gearbox but over time thinking about it when the car is in gear stationary clutch depressed nothing inside the box is moving so like you when I select reverse stationary the starter motor is engaging with the fast moving flywheel causing the horrendous grinding noise I can only think it's reverse switch sending the starter motor out I'm still to look into why this is doing it 

Did you manage to find your issue ?

He has not been online in nearly 8 years, unlikely you will get an answer