• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
kilauea

No Starty, Suspect Coil...

kilauea

Been through old posts and manuals and think I've nailed the issue but can someone just confirm my working out for me please? I hate messing with the electrics on my car, mostly because its a complete mess from PO's splicing alarms in and out and other suspicious wires. Nothing matches any pictures I've seen of other cars!

Anyway...

Car is p1.5 1.9 with seperate coil and ignition module in wing.

Car didn't start, had a suspect fuel relay (sometimes ran on after ignition was swtiched off) so just replaced that. Car started then died about 10/15 seconds later and would not start again - turns over but nada firing. Battery has full charge.

Took plugs out and they were filthy so cleaned 'em up and tried again. Still nothing but taking them out again they had fuel on them. So juice ain't the issue.

I confirmed no spark by pulling a plug and earthing it. Deffo spark problem. Pulled off HT leads and cleaned em up a bit - they've only done about 1k so should be good. Same for plugs.

I then checked voltage across the terminal 1 and 15 of the coil with ignition on - 0 volts.

Pulled the spade connectors off it (I have 2 red ones to + and the usual 2 lightblue/greens to -).

One of the red wires to + has 12v when earthed to the blue/green spade other side.

No idea why I have two + connectors, one with 12 one with 0 but suspect its some alarm bypass bodgery thats gone on. But I'm thinking so long as 12v is getting to that side someone, it shouldn't matter right?

Anyway, check resistance across coil and getting nearly 2ohm (starts at 2 settles at 1.7-1.8). I believe it should be in the region of 0.6-0.8.

So with there being 12v from spade connectors, but not across terminals. And the high resistance reading - I'm blaming coil and sourcing a new one.

Sound about right or have I missed something?

Cheers.

dcc

No use to this thread, but I was genuinely hoping to see a reference to Rich :(

Must re read what people put as thread titles

• Like 1

kilauea

What I have missed? You mean Rich from stockport?

kilauea

It is the coil.

I just took the terminals off and swapped them with a new coil I've got for the bus. Resistace dropped although still not at what haynes says, but fired and runs like a good 'un.

Reckon I'll still pick up a new coil. Recommendations anyone?

Daviewonder

I misread it the same, then thought of Paddy McGuiness.

• Like 1

TT205

So where is Dr Starty !? :D

• Like 1