• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
AlexRS2782

Coolant Hose Identification (Replacing With Bbm Version)

AlexRS2782

A few years ago i replaced all the original o.e hoses in my engine bay with the versions from BBM. It was about 6 months between when i bought the hoses and actually fitted them and i found when i came to fitting that i had 1 hose duplicated and 1 missing. Having taken the airbox off the car today, due to getting my new exhaust/downpipe fitted, it reminded me i need to get the missing hose ordered up from BBM :)

On that basis, any chance of an identifcation / exact name for the coolant hose marked with the black rings around it as per the pic below? :)

HoseIndentification.jpg

Also i noticed that the BBM eBay store is no more, so i'm guessing to order any bits from Stu i just need to make contact via BBM's website, as obviously i only need the 1 hose not the entire kit.

Many Thanks

Alan77

I think you've answered your own question WRT ordering one up...

Ten seconds on google / BBM site has shown that it's a Lower heater matrix hose.

Anthony

... and there's two types, depending on whether your car is an early or a late 1991 as that's roughly when they changed.

Easiest way to tell is to look where the ECU temperature sensor is - the early setup has it below the dizzy in a separate block meaning a shorter hose and a 2nd, short L-shaped hose from that block to the side of the thermostat housing, whereas the later setup has the sensor in the back of the thermostat housing and as a result the coolant hose is longer as it goes all the way from the bulkhead to the side of the thermostat housing.

AlexRS2782

Thanks Anthony :) Mine will be the second type with the longer hose going straight from bulkhead to housing as it was a mid '91 registered car :)

I guess that also explains the "duplicate" hose, as it looks like BBM must have sent me a hose kit for the early setup whereas my car is the later one.

Just noticed today one of my SAD hoses has got a tiny split in it, so looks like i'll be ordering BBM's SAD hose set as well at the same time as the matrix hose.

pug_ham

Thanks Anthony :) Mine will be the second type with the longer hose going straight from bulkhead to housing as it was a mid '91 registered car :)

I think that means you'll need the hose from an Mi16 conversion set as Stew didn't used to do a set for the 8v engine with that style included, its the Mi16 lower heater matrix pipe you need.

g

Anthony

If you're ordering the hose individually, he'll be able to supply it and he is aware that later 8v's had the one piece hose.

Indeed, I suspect that he probably has more of those hoses than anything, as the Mi16 and GTi-6 kits both use it too (needs to be cut down on the GTi-6 kit)

One other thought - if you were supplied with the earlier hose kit, was the metal pipe to rear coolant distribution block hose correct? There's two different sizes depending on whether you've got an early (alloy) or late (plastic) housing, and whilst you can force one onto the other / clamp it down tightly to make it seal, it's really not ideal.

pug_ham

If you're ordering the hose individually, he'll be able to supply it and he is aware that later 8v's had the one piece hose.

Yeah, the BBM website doesn't show a hose set for the later 8v cars so I thought I'd make point it out for Alex.

g

AlexRS2782

Many Thanks guys - much appreciated :D

@ Anthony - yeah the pipe for the rear coolant block appeared to be the correct one - It certainly connected fine without any problems or any modifications needed :)