• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
omri617

Turning Motronic Into Jetronic ?

omri617

DKZ engine (XU9JAZ) . Motronic 1.3 - 122 BHP

D6B engine (XU9jJA) - Jetronic - 130 BHP

Suggesting we take the Catalyser of the DKZ , they become THE SAME ??

What I want to ask, I wish to run 359 ECU on my DKZ 1.9 , is 359 Jetronic or Motronic?

welshpug

DKZ is lower compression and has different camshaft, there is no problem running it without the catalytic converter but you must run the lambda if it is Motronic.

359 is Jetronic.

omri617

Thanks Mei , I was hoping for an answer like that

Today I run this engine , with 1.6 AFM

I have the 1.6 (340) ECU and the 1.9 (359) ECU . with this setup , which ECU would be better running?

omri617

Suggesting I run the 359 ECU , which AFM I need , 109 or 202 ??

Thanks a lot

Anthony

109 AFM is matched to the 359 ECU and your existing fuel injectors.

This still seems like a distinctly backward, retrograde step however as Motronic is far nicer than Jetronic!

The lower power output on the DKZ engine is despite running Motronic, rather than because of Motronic.

omri617

In what way Motronic is nicer to drive than Jetronic?

Thanks Anthony

Anthony

It has nicer driving manners, idles well and doesn't suffer from the Jetronic quirks like kangerooing.

omri617

The quirks I agree , especially in 1st and 2nd gear ..

I was sure that the big fuss and funand storm the 205 GTI made was on it's early days , when all motors ran on Jetronic.

By the way , 359 ECU is LE2 or LU2 Jetronic? also , on which engines it was fitted originally?

Tesstuff

The quirks I agree , especially in 1st and 2nd gear ..

I was sure that the big fuss and funand storm the 205 GTI made was on it's early days , when all motors ran on Jetronic.

By the way , 359 ECU is LE2 or LU2 Jetronic? also , on which engines it was fitted originally?

Do you do any of your own research? How do you think other people know these answers?

Here you go... :huh:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=205+Gti+359+ecu&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a

Edited by Tesstuff

Tesstuff

It has nicer driving manners, idles well and doesn't suffer from the Jetronic quirks like kangerooing.

I don't know if that differs with each car but my Gentry was originally on Jetronic and ran perfectly, had a superb solid idle and never any traits of kangarooing.

When I first read the comments about Jetronic I was shocked after my own experience.

welshpug

Gentry was the 105 bhp engine with a lambda right?

I experienced one of those in a CTi and it had good manners.

Tesstuff

Gentry was the 105 bhp engine with a lambda right?

I experienced one of those in a CTi and it had good manners.

Yes indeed. When I started driving Sarty's red 1.6 I didn't know what hit me, ridiculous idle and kangarooing all over the place.

Thankfully a day in Marksorrento's hands and all was good again.

Miles

Yes because of the Lambda on the 105 low comp engine's I think the idle is good, But as above Motronic is a huge leap forward as it controls the ignition as well, Jetronic is just stone age stuff now, Well motronic is as well but not quite so bad

Anthony

I don't know if that differs with each car but my Gentry was originally on Jetronic and ran perfectly, had a superb solid idle and never any traits of kangarooing.

As Miles says, the Jetronic LU-2 setup on the XU9J1 engines is quite well behaved, thanks to the lambda keeping fueling trimmed and the comparitively mild state of tune of the engine. The soft takeup of the torque converter no doubt helps with the kangerooing too, although it's a while since I've driven an auto equipped one.

Jetronic LE-2 as found on GTi's however, with no lambda and with a more agressive cam, is much more of a pig and even running nicely - which many don't - is awful by any kind of vaguely modern standard. Even in the 80's when these cars were new the reviews critised it for poor idle, kangerooing etc, so add in 20-25 years of deterioration and ham-fisted attempts to "fix" it and it's no wonder it's usually so bad today.

Motronic on the other hand (assuming the AFM isn't fubar) just works - it idles, it behaves, and it's well mannered out of the box.

• Like 1

pug_ham

When I first read the comments about Jetronic I was shocked after my own experience.

It all depends on the condition of the ignition system, ecu components & how well they've been cared for.

Many 205 GTI's haven't been looked after well enough for this to be the case, as said though, the gentry didn't have the normal GTI Jetronic system so it behaved far better in comparison with the lower spec engine & auto box.

Chalk & cheese difference between the two.

g

omri617

I just want to update , was running the 1.9 (359) ECU with my mixed and mismatched setup for 300 Km (mainly highway) - And

I noticed more power , especially in the mid. revs , the car doesn't "hesitate" as when I was running the 1.6 (340) , especially on 1st and 2nd gear. The thing that disappointed me was that It over fuels. I had my test on the same route and in the same conditions and I noticed it consumed more fuel than in the past ( To me it sounds logical : 1.9 ECU injects a bit more fuel in a given moment , more than 1.6 for the area of the Combustion chamber is bigger in the 1.9 )