• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
charlieb01

Hole Found In Head

charlieb01

I removed the cylinder head about 3 months ago to change the head gasket and checked it thoroughly at the time and there appeared to no visual damage. Since then I have left it in the shed and decided to take it out today and re-build it to put it back on the engine and I found this large hole. There is no way I would've missed this when I checked it.

Is this repairable?

Any help would be appreciated.

post-22655-0-23667300-1366914805_thumb.jpg

post-22655-0-59613600-1366914845_thumb.jpg

Tom Fenton

They all have it. Next.

• Like 2

charlieb01

They all have it. Next.

really? if so, sorry about the waste of thread

Slo

its a drain hole for the oil passing through the end bearing

ORB

PS, it's not a waste of thread, it cost nobody anything, you could have found it in a search, but I agree, the hole does not look like a machined hole so your first reaction is understandable!

But, it is indeed standard.

charlieb01

its a drain hole for the oil passing through the end bearing

it's a bit of a strange shape for a hole though

(just checking that you're looking at the same hole I am, not the circular hole between the studs, I mean the oval shaped hole on the ridge)

PS, it's not a waste of thread, it cost nobody anything, you could have found it in a search, but I agree, the hole does not look like a machined hole so your first reaction is understandable!

But, it is indeed standard.

ok that's confirmed it, phew, thanks!!

welshpug

yes, its been a while since I recall anyone asking :lol:

Its an oil drain from the seal side of that camshaft journal.

• Like 1

Slo

yes the oval hole all got it as stated above, without it the hydraulic pressure of oil building up would push the cam seal out :)

• Like 1

chipstick

I had the same thoughts when I first saw this on a head I had. It's almost as if they realised the machining would lead to the material breaking through and that was good enough without tidying it.

DanteICE

Another reason this should be in the guides section; like a list of things every 205 GTI owner should know...with pictures. Maybe that will curb these questions being asked and people can save their own time and get relief about a hole in their head quicker than they would asking on the forums?

I've noticed more guides on the front page and I think it's great. Keep them coming.

Geoff

welshpug

Its coming, we have a big list and its on there :D

GLPoomobile

To be fair, it's a natural reaction from anyone who sees that hole for the first time. Been there, done that. And I'm surprised this question's not popped up in a long time (I knew what was coming just from seeing the topic title :lol: ).

It would definitely be useful to be in a FAQ section, but then it won't prevent the panic for anyone whose not read the FAQs. There are some things that simply baffle, bemuse and confuse, but in the case of this hole the natural reaction is to assume that it's damage, and either panic about it or get pissed off. Nice one Pug :wacko:

• Like 1

TT205

I thought you must have had one of those 'man tool' moments

Like_I_need_a_hole_in_the_head_by_toqueh

charlieb01

haha at least I wasn't the only one :)

when I took the head off I couldn't believe the state of the gasket, never seen a gasket in such bad condition.

post-22655-0-73497800-1366998199_thumb.jpg