• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
azkis

Tu3M: Reading Fault Codes

azkis

Hi drivers!

First of all, I tried searching the forum but didn't really find any info on this.

I am having some trouble with my TU3M engine on my 205 roland garros. The check engine light goes on and off every now and then, so I'm thinking reading the fault codes off the ecu would be useful. I found some info on that in the heynes automative diagnostic manual but that was just some general info. I'm sure some of You guys have done this and could point me to the right direction :)

The manual says peugeots have a green two terminal self diagnostic connector somewhere in the engine compartment. It's supposed to be somewhere along the left or right inner wing. I've tried looking for it, but the only green connector I've found is this one (in the picture). I'm not sure if this is the one? It looks like it has three terminals but it actually has only two of the three wired. So I guess this could be it?

Next the manual says one should connect terminal number 2 to ground and put the ignition on and then the check engine light would flash out the fault codes. The connector in the picture of the manual, of course, looks totally different from what I've got here (assuming this is the right connector) so I'm not really sure which terminal would be "number 2". Wouldn't want to short circuit anything here so some help from the more experienced folk would be great :) Thanks in advance!

post-22572-0-44268200-1366889773_thumb.jpg

Dukey

Did you get any help with this or get it sorted? I have the exact same problem. Didn't realise you could read the engine codes like that. It is intermittent, but seems to come on with my foot off the throttle, but not always, comes on at idle, say at the traffic lights, but seems to go away after setting off again. Could this be a lambda issue? Not really had a nosey under the bonnet yet but I'll have a poke around tonight

johnnyboy666

I'm not sure if the lithuanian version was slightly different to the UK version, but the one I had a few years back didnt have any diagnostic port and had a tu3s engine.

This might be a stupid question, but have you checked the engine oil level?

welshpug

TU3M is SPI, TU3S is carb, so of course there was no DIAG port :lol:

johnnyboy666

lol I know that!! I think I mis-phrased that sentence, it shoulvde read like this:

the one I had a few years back didnt have any diagnostic port as it had a tu3s engine

azkis

Hi,

I did find the correct connector later on, and it all worked well. The problem itself - I guess it was just something in the memory of the ecu.. it just so happened that i'd disconnected the battery and kept the car that way for a day or two before i actually did the diagnostics procedure so i guess all the error codes were gone form the memory. I did get the codes 12 and 11 which say "star/tend of diagnostics". Never got the check engine warning again after that though.

The procedure is really simple, just as described in my initial post. And it is kind of fun to talk to your car so to speak :P

I am attaching the pic of the plug. Since my car is LHD, the plug will probably be on the opposite side on an RHD vehicle. It should be on the passengers side of the engine bay though, sticking out with any other wires comming from the ECU to the engine bay.

Have fun :)

link to the pic: http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/549/img0741xs.jpg

[EDIT: sorry, wrong picture. adding link to the correct one]

Edited by azkis

Dukey

Ah great stuff! Thanks, I'm gonna have a go at this. Is there anywhere the codes are listed? Done a bit of a search but not found anything.. yet.

Cheers.

-- OK, well my initial searching abilities were poor, but i have now found this:

http://www.drapertools-online.com/products/manuals/68079ins.pdf

Edited by Dukey