• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Matt Holley

Issues With My Mi16

Matt Holley

Hello, I hope these are fairly straight forward problems to solve on my newly fitted mi16 engine.

Firstly I was running it up today, it's not been anywhere since being fitted and there were puffs of smoke coming from the exhaust manifold, I'm fairly sure oil is coming out of one of the bolts on the back on the rocker cover and when enough of a drip forms it drops down to the exhaust, is there a seal or anything on these bolts or is it a case of using sealer?

Next one is i can't remember if you have to modify an 8v AFM top hat to fit an air filter or you can get a shorter one from somewhere, my afm didn't come with a top hat at all so I found an 8v one but it won't fit :(​

Lastly and this is not mi specific but I was running a DTA and that was controlling my aftermarket fan and all was well, since I no longer have any of that I am re fitting a standard fan and all the standard wiring etc, I am stuck with the earth plug, does that go to an earth block on the front panel?

Thanks

GLPoomobile

Green filters used to do a metal top hat adaptor many years ago, so worth a look on their website to see if they still do it.

I managed to get a plastic adaptor from an eBay seller a few years back. He had numerous sizes. Unfortunately I picked the wrong size and the inlet pipe was too big, but I did a Heath Robinson fix buy making a backing piece from cardboard (made watertight with paint :D) to cover the gaps that the top hat left. Anyway, my point being that there are various sizes available if you trawl ebay and the net.

welshpug

Is the bolt pattern on the AFM different to the 8 valver?

cooling fan does just earth next to the headlamp indeed.

cam cover bolts don't have any sealing, leaks will usually be from the seal though.

Edited by welshpug

ORB

Do you have the correct cover bolts? The shiney chrome things with a collar?

Matt Holley

Is the bolt pattern on the AFM different to the 8 valver?

cooling fan does just earth next to the headlamp indeed.

cam cover bolts don't have any sealing, leaks will usually be from the seal though.

The bolt pattern is the same it's the length that's the problem, it would fit if I moved the washer bottle but i don't want to, I have seen pics of others and the filter is pretty much butted up to the afm so they must use something different.

Oil is not coming out of the cam cover to head seal as the oil is higher than that, maybe it just needs nipping up.

I thought the fan earth went to a block, I think I ditched that years ago with the rest of the wiring.

ORB yes it's the correct bolts, I'm starting to think they may be a bit loose.

ORB

Have you got them all in the correct locations? They are different lengths if I remember correctly? Though, I should be obvious!

Matt Holley

God knows, I've not removed the cam cover, the engine is how I got it.

They aren't obviously sticking out or anything.

Anthony

The air filter top hat that you're thinking of is an aftermarket item - Green do one, and I think certain K&N kits came with one too.

The standard 8v item, as you've discovered, tends to put the air filter so far across it fouls the washer bottle.

Alan_M

The cam cover seal goes round the bolts, so if the oil is coming out of the bolt head then its got to get past the seal too. If it is leaking, you should see oil build-up.

I would take the cam cover off and check the seal. If it looks OK (although they aren't expensive new), I'd clean the faces up and refit remembering there is a torque setting and tightening pattern for these. I'm pretty sure you need Hylomar or similar in the corners of cam carriers 1 & 5 too.

Edited by Alan_M

Tom Fenton

Just be careful torquing those bolts, it is possible to shear them off below the torque setting (have got the t shirt)

Matt Holley

Thanks, is the cam cover gasket something I can get from Peugeot?

Miles

I'd get one from a factors or stick a wanted add up, the price is plain silly

petert

A dodgy fix is to stick a washer under the head of the bolts. Then the cam cover will pull down harder before the shoulder on the bolt(s) bottom out. A better fix is to get some one to face 0.5-0.75mm off each shoulder. No ugly washers, of which the thickness is really too much anyway. It's the shoulder bottoming out that causes people to shear the bolts off.

Alan_M

Might be worth checking the threaded holes for the bolts are clear. Can't remember whether they're blind or not though.

Matt Holley

I'll have to find a reg of an Mi and try to order a gasket, none of the parts guys I speak to will play ball without one.

Tom Fenton

H435GVC was once my 405 Mi16x4. It really boils my piss when parts men are wankers like that. If they wanted to they could find you the part without a reg.

Matt Holley

Thanks, I've got the pug part number from a search but didn't know if they could cross ref it.

Thanks for the reg Tom, I had all sorts of fun getting a dizzy cap, in the end I got one from ebay.

Miles

I do keep them to hand, cam cover seals that is

Matt Holley

I'll keep that in mind Miles.

Matt Holley

I got all these problems solved today.

I re sealed the cam cover and wired up the earth for the fan, funny that the fan earth is on a 3 pin plug but the 2 thin wires are really just one wire looped round inside the loom, completely point less, it's like they only had 3 pin plugs left!

I bit the bullet and moved the washer bottle, couldn't be arsed searching for a new top hat for the afm when an hours work could let me use the one I had.

I ran in for about 30 minutes and the fan works and the cam cover doesn't leak. :D

2013-04-28150148_zps6fae3cb4.jpg[/url]

• Like 1

hudson

I've a spare afm and air filter to fit mi powered 205 removed from my rally car gone engine management so not needed if its any good to you

hudson

I've a spare afm and air filter to fit mi powered 205 removed from my rally car gone engine management so not needed if its any good to you also have dizzy conversion with cap and rotor

Matt Holley

I've a spare afm and air filter to fit mi powered 205 removed from my rally car gone engine management so not needed if its any good to you also have dizzy conversion with cap and rotor

Thanks for the offer but I have sorted the air filter now, since the above photo I have fitted a green air filter and have also picked up a shorter top hat and another spare filter so have plenty of options.

This is how it is at the moment, I may fit the shorter top hat but it all fits nicely at the moment.

May2013459_zps06e0766f.jpg