• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Kezzer30

Trim Insert Ideas?

Kezzer30

Ok so my inserts for the gtis trim are getting knackered i took the white ones i had painted off to see how chrome ones looked but the chromes ones look crap so i want to try something else or keep them white .

However due to the fact buying a new set is out of the question has anyone used anything else? I would of thought there will be things out there that can be stuck in etc.

Many thanks

Edited by Kezzer30

chipstick

Considered painting the others you have red?

farmer

I thought Vaxuhall Flame red would be a close match ?

Kezzer30

Considered painting the others you have red?

Yes i want to try red but i want to know is there anything else i can use instead of the trim peice itself as a cuple are bent and just look crap etc

farmer

Buy Chrome paint red if it was me.

• Like 1

allye

I think red inserts on red trim on a red car would look naff. White look quite good IMO, I think chrome would have looked good too, any pictures with the chrome on there?

Kezzer30

The problem i have with the chrome is its comes in a roll , and with some of my trims being screwed on etc what happens is you get alot of buldges and as chrome is reflective it just looks really tacky and naff , thats why i want tonsee if anyonr has used something else in the past that can be cut and stuck in etc

Kezzer30

AEBD5742-00B8-4783-AB4A-5DF9F5C3EE18-586

This is one of the sides i did yesterday , ive left the bumpers alone for now , the other side was worse so i took them off and currently have nothing in them but if you look you can see how uneven a crap they look

allye

struggling to understand why you don't use some standard inserts? easy to get hold of some.

farmer

Agreed Allye.

You are looking for something that might not gain much,

Have you fitted the inserts properly as they should be straight as a bullet when fitted correctly.

GLPoomobile

By the sounds of it, you didn't use an actual OE Chrome insert kit, which would have been straight (unless damaged of course). As you've found, using some universal solution that comes on a roll is going to look cack.

Kezzer30

I didnt realise that they are easy to get hold of :s nothing on ebay , where can i get a set?

farmer

All sold at the dealers i think.

allye

The front and rear bumper would be no problem as loads of base models came with chrome inserts, Cleaning them up is easy too and gives a good finish.

Surely you can rub back the white ones you have to bare metal?

Edited by allye

Kezzer30

Ok so it seems ive got my wires massively crossed (like i seem to do alot) it was to my understanding the trim insert were in very short supply and new ones are hard to come by and even second hands ones are expensive , but i assume now this only applies to the gti trim. But then even base models had no side trims so surely these are hard to source? , unless chrome ones never got bought and still loads of them left ? But then that begs the question if thats the case why dont people just buy chrome ones and paint them red? Hence problem of low supply trim being solved .

Can someone please correct me where wrong

allye

But then that begs the question if thats the case why dont people just buy chrome ones and paint them red?

Because people are sad twats (bit like me) who like original items! Got to be right!

• Like 1

marksorrento205

I think I would be tempted to have them painted dark grey like the griffe's are. I have a bit of griffe trim that I could send you to get a colour match if you needed it.

• Like 2

Kezzer30

Because people are sad twats (bit like me) who like original items! Got to be right!

Haha well i guess to some degree thats fair enough , but you wouldnt even have to be a skilled painter , as the normal trims are just a dull red , there will be one thats a pretty much bang on match , certainly a much cheaper option with the difference being minimal .

But then again i have seen some insane buying , mud flaps and fog light protectors so if u have the money to do it then fair play haha

Kezzer30

I think I would be tempted to have them painted dark grey like the griffe's are. I have a bit of griffe trim that I could send you to get a colour match if you needed it.

Cheers mark , i probs would just get a pic i do it by eye (as it wouldnt have to be exact for me ) as for grey that may work il have to ponder on it .

Just to add i do like it as it is , in just wondering if anything else would suit it abit more with the wheels etc

marksorrento205

I will send you a pic so you can see what its like :)

Kezzer30

I will send you a pic so you can see what its like :)

Sweet bud

Liquid_106

I would of thought there will be things out there that can be stuck in etc.

Not used it myself, but do you mean something like this?

marksorrento205

Sweet bud

Send me your number and I will text them across :)

bigalthenutter

post-23364-0-58368500-1366185331_thumb.jpg

this is what i did with mine opposite to yours i think it looks good

Henry Yorke

On my XS, I changed the chrome to black. I just put black electrical tape over the original inserts. I think it would look well with your Diablo colour.

post-3457-0-73952300-1366329055_thumb.jpg

On my yellow one I found some stick on chrome as I needed an insert for the fibreglass bumpers

post-3457-0-41640300-1366329126_thumb.jpg

• Like 1