• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
iPlod999

High Revs After Starting Up.

iPlod999

On my 1.9 when I start up the revs go up to about 2000 rpm.

I have about a 10 mile drive to work. I did put it down to the cold weather but the revs do stay high for most of the journey.

If I blip the throttle sometimes the revs will drop to 1500/1700. Everynow and then if after a short time running I turn off the engine, once the water tempreture has risen to normal. When started again the revs will run fine about 800-900 rpm.

I have had a search on here and taken a look at the SAD, although cannot spot the 'hole' that others have mention. There is a flap in there. I have given it a spray and it does move freely.

I have also taken out the idle screw and given that a good clean.

Now that warmer weather has arrived, I thought this would have eased up a bit.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

pug_ham

Can you hear throttle switch click closed at idle or has it been set so it remains open?

If it isn't set properly, now you've cleaned everything up it might be the cause of your high idle speed.

The hole in the sad is more of a small pie slice in the disc, to check if its the SAD staying open, squash the pipe from it to the pipe between AFM & throttle body to see if the speed drops down.

g

iPlod999

Cheers Pug Ham for your swift reply.

Today was the first chance I had to have a look.

I am a mechanical idiot. To be honest I have no idea what the 'SAD' is other than its full name.

Where is is and what is the pipe should be looking at. I have squeeze all the pipes in the picture and nothing has happened!

3D11E8F9-5160-4961-B266-C9BFBAE634FB-359

Sorry for being a div!

pug_ham

The SAD is hidden underneath the distributor, you have to remove a few parts to get to it & also not visible in your picture.

The hose from it you need to squash is on the front corner of the 90' pipe between the AFM & throttle body in your picture, below the plastic scoop of the slam panel.

What year is your car & does it have aircon?

g

iPlod999

'AFM & throttle body in your picture, below the plastic scoop of the slam panel'. You have lost me again. I am clueless!!

I have not got air con. It's a 1992, K, it was one of the few from the Jap exports. It would have had air conditioning at new but some one has removed it.

Over the past 2 days the revs have come down quite quick and more or less normal on my journey. May be the slightly warmer weather has helped.

Thanks for your help on this and hopefully I'll get there in the end.

pug_ham

AFM is the body with the black plastic square cover on next to the battery, throttle body in where the idle speed screw you've already cleaned lives.

The hose to squeeze is on front of the pipe which runs between these two.

I asked about the aircon as you have the aircon solenoid on the throttle body yet with the coil on the early phase 1 / 1.5 nearside inner wing position.

g

iPlod999

Ok think I found the pipe.

I've given it a squeeze and the has been no change in engine speed.

Is this good or bad news?

Miles

Check the bottom of the Throttle body, you might have a pipe open to the air as these had all the CAT parts on

Silly question, but what colour are the injectors and part no of the AFM

iPlod999

Hi Miles.

I'll see if I can under the throttle body at some time to have a look.

The injectors are yellow and the number I can see on the AFM is 0208 202109.

Cheers.

Miles

Hmm, that could be one of the reason's, what is the engine code as if it's a CAT engine (105bhp) the ECU and AFM won;t be suited for this, you can still see the bracket on the TB for the Auto gearbox as well

iPlod999

The car is no longer a auto. It's manual.

Where/how do I find the engine number?

To be honest it seems that the problem has not been helped by the colder weather. Although, in sure this never happened last winter.

During the last few days of glorious sunshine the engine speed has been fine after about ten minutes or so.

Cheers again for your continued help people.

• Like 1

Miles

The stamp will be on the block by the top engine mount, If it has a Z in it then the engine is the 105bhp version still

pug_ham

The engine id plate with the engine number & type should be behind the engine mount in your picture, roughly below the arrow in this picture

You're looking for a three digit code, possible DKZ which means it is a cat engine.

g

iPlod999
iPlod999

Videos appear to be no good!

Should it be on this?

5E3400F5-50B2-4077-B99D-FA3E4DE6D5F4-479

5795DBBB-AD07-4D48-91DE-8FF6E20F9C83-479

Miles

Just behind the top of the Alt, but with the AC pulley on there and no doubt alloy sump it is the 105 engine

welshpug

if the reg is K***BKV its quite likely its a cat engine, especially being an Auto originally, check the part number on the ecu.

the tag with the engine number is usually above the allen bolt securing the alternator bracket

IMG_1056.jpg

iPlod999

It is a BKV.

I have cleaned up the top left part of the engine. However, there is no sight of any markings.

Not too fussed if it's a 105 bhp.

The revs have improved over the last few days. So it must be related to the cold weather we have been having.

Roll on the summer. :)

Cheers for all your help people.

MikeC

Higher octane petrol will help too. 97 or higher. these don't seem to like 95 so much.

iPlod999

I do use VPower already.

I think is is just a bit of the cloder weather we have had.

Car still looks good, goes like stink and puts a big smile on my face. :)

welshpug

Checked the part numbers yet?

iPlod999

I'm sure a machanicle idiot I can't even find the ECU!!