• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jamie P

Cooling Fan Stays On

Jamie P

I am hoping some one can who has experienced the same issue can offer some advice before I investigate further.

My cooling fan comes on as it should, but then stays on until the vehicle battery dies.

I am assuming something like a sticking relay, I thought it may be the fan switch but as it switches on when it should I am assuming that is ok.

As it its I have to unplug the fan switch if the fan is on after I key off, so I need to sort it.

Does anyone know the location and how to identify the relay that controls the fan or have any other ideas?

Cheers

welshpug

what arrangement do you have?

the standard gti fan system runs a permanent live to the fan thermoswitch then directly to the fan, via a resistor on the lower temperature setting, no relays at all.

I would imagine the fan is not staying on all the time but that your car is still very hot when you turn it off and that the charging system/battery isn't in good health.

OR that an excessively low temperature switch has been used.

OR, your radiator isn't the best.

could still be that the thermoswitch is failing, however in my experience they tend not to work at all.

ORB

I had one that was coming on at just above Luke warm recently. Twas a ballache

Jamie P

The coolant temp doesn't appear to do anything unsual.

The temp rises as it should, once warm stays within the normal region on the temp gauge and never gets into the red as the fan kicks in etc.

As for what arrangement I have, by that I assume you mean engine and cooling pack. The engine is a Citreon BX alloy Mi16, as for the rad and fan I am unsure, I assume they are 205 GTi, if not probably from the Citreon BX 16v.

Welshpug, this is a recent problem so I have absolute faith in the rad, and fan switch spec.

As it's been so cold and I've not been caught up in my traffic the fan hasn't had to come on many times. I'm not totally sure the fan always stays on, but I have witnessed it.

As you say Welshpug fan switches seem to work or not work so I had kinda ruled that out.

What makes you suggest an issue with the battery/charging system?

As I don't use the car everyday it is often left connected to a smart charger there may be a link between the fan staying on and the charger being used.

There is another issue which I have thought is unrelated. The coolant level light on the dash is on. If I disconnect the sensor in the header tank, ensure the level is correct and plug the sensor in the light goes out, for a short while, then comes back on. I have always thought the level sensor is suspect assumed it is only used for indication on the dash and intend to replace it.