• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Kane

Mi16 Piston Damage

Kane

Hi,

So have just got round to getting things together for the mi rebuild and after looking over some parts have found that the damage to both the head and one of the pistons was a lot worse than I had first thought. I have cleaned off the top of the piston and there is loads of pitting/gouges on the face and similar damage to the corresponding cylinder on the head. I am planning on taking the parts out to a machinist to see what he makes of it but thought I'd ask on here first to see if anyone has seen damage similar to this before and if so is it repairable?

Here are a couple of photo's of the damage.

Piston

Head

Any advice on solutions to this problem would be great

Cheers Kane

Edited by Kane

Slo

Looks like old broken valve damage that or maybe some tit dropped an 8mm nut into the spark plug hole while they were servicing it and didn't notice, i'll probably get scalded for saying this but if the bores are scratch free and the valve seats are unaffected i wouldn't worry about it too much

jamie_1992

i have pistons and a head for sale if you need it

Kane

Is there any way of smoothing them back to normal without causing any damage to the piston? I had a look at the valves last night and couldn't see any bent ones but I'll double check again tonight to be sure.

I'm trying to keep costs to a minimum on the build so will have a look at refurbishing before purchasing new parts Jamie but could you possibly pm me a price on the head and pistons?

Cheers

Kane

Kane

Double checked the valves and all seem fine, also checked all the seats and they do not have any scratches on them either. I am guessing that if the damage was caused by a bent valve then it has since been replaced but the actual area affected hasn't been fixed.

Slo

That's what i meant by old broken valve, that it had been replaced

Kane

No worries thanks for the advice. Hopefully this is the only major problem with the build.. fingers crossed anyway haha.

Cheers

Kane

Slo

I wouldn't call it a problem really it wont run any different with or without the dents and you cant tell from outside :)

ORB

What is the bore like?

Kane

Do you mean the liners? They are in good condition, no scratches/dents.

Alan_M

Is it me or has that piston lost material by the valve cut-outs?

Kane

Well it is rough all over the face of the piston but more so around the valve cut outs.

Here is a photo from a different angle

Piston

I'm wondering whether these small gouges will have that much of an effect if any. I'm probably going to look to replace this piston and possibly number 2 as well as it has similar damage but not as bad but what I was wondering has anyone heard of pistons in similar condition being refurbished i.e. smoothed off?