• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
joed66

1360 Xs Camshaft

joed66

right well to begin.

i have a 1988 205 xs 1360 few mods like exhaust and airfilter but my next task is the camshaft. i have seen a newman sprint/rally cam at 290 degree for £170 brand new so much cheaper then kent cams. my question is i know a lot of people say put the vernier pully on at the same time but i it needed will the engine run with the standard pully on?

also i am aware at that cam duration it will tick over lumpy and i want it to.

as the same time as changing the cam the timing belt, and water pump will be replaced.

also i am goin to port match the head aswell.

my main dilema is about the pully is it NEEDED? or just somthing that helps.

one last thing how do you set verniers up?

almost forgot i will be runnin the standard solex carb so were can i get bigger jets to match the cam?

hope someone can help

Edited by joed66

MiniGibbo

I'm not that clued up but from my brief research, you need the aftermarket pulley to get the most out of the cam as its adjustable where the oem one isn't.

I gave up on aftermarket cams as you can't find that much better than the F/J cam without fitting recessed pistons.

NeoN

The logical thing to do would be to ask Newman what they recommend for that cam, but I would expect the standard pulley would be OK - if it needed to be run, say, -3°, then the locating bit for the pulley would be machined -3°, wouldn't it?

The adjustable pulley would allow you to bias the torque curve towards low-speed or high-speed.

Presumably the cam is also higher lift, with just more duration you may get away with the standard jet(s).

If you can't find spare ones, you can either drill out the originals or make some more (I once made one from a grub screw) - if you drill one out too much, you can solder it up (don't use your best iron) and try again.