• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Bovien

Rattely Speedo. Fixable?

Bovien

I have a rattely speedo, especially in the cold. It have found this to be more or less normal by searching, but mosts posts are on curing the speedo needle wobble.

Do I need a new speedo cable or is there an easy DIY fix for this? What is it exaclty that is making the rattly noise?

chris-gti

Mine started with the wobble and ended up with the rattle, ended up replacing cable and squirting WD40 in the back of the clocks where the cable goes in. not sure if it's the correct way but it seemed to solve it for me.

Vili

I have the same problem. I changed a new cable, but it didn't make much of a difference. Maybe I should change the speedo next. Some believe that broken/sticky cable can brake the speedo in the long run.

j_turnell

Its also worth bearing in mind the plastic cogs in the gearbox can get damaged and the teeth chewed up. I'd recommend draining the oil removing the housing on the box and give it a good clean up and check its condition, and then refit with fresh oil and a new seal. Worth also pumping grease down the speedo cable itself to help lubricate it. Wrapping the cable is also a good idea as they get very hot from the heat off the manifold which doesn't help the situation.

Vili

Unfortunately my speedo rattling has the same with three different gearboxes. But it's a good idea to check gearbox end as well.

joe1joe

Mine is not the gearbox as had a few diffrent vss in there on diffrent boxes and gears looked good.

Replaced cable which seemed to make things better but not for long so think the problem must be in the speedo itself.

Bovien

Ok, good to know that the problem can be several places.. :-D

I'll start off with the cable, which is 15£ from a local auto parts store. They seem to have two available. One being 900mm and one being 1100mm as far as I recall. I seem to remember that it is the long one, right?

Obey_R

Short one will fit but makes life easier with the long'un.

Anthony

Short one is for LHD and longer one for RHD AFAIK.

Be wary of pattern speedo cables, as in my experience they often don't last very long before they suffer from shaking and clicking/rattling. I would personally spend the extra on a genuine OE cable, or source a known good original cable from a low mileage base model or something.

The speedo itself can definitely click and rattle, both from the speedo itself and from the odometer/trip counters.