• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
swervygerdy

Be1 Box - New Clutch Very Heavy

swervygerdy

Hi folks

Im in the middle of rebuilding my 205 gti.

While the engine and box were out I replaced the clutch - friction plate, pressure plate and release bearing. I mounted the engine to the box while out of the car and lifted the whole lot back into place.

The replacement relase bearing was slightly different to the origanal.

Replaed the clutch cable too.

My problem is that the clutch still feels very stiff and heavy.

I havent reconnected all the ancillaries yet so cant run the motor but its selecting all the gears alright.

Any idea's appreciated - horrible feeling the box will have to come out.....

welshpug

How different was the bearing? Is the quadrant on the box free moving and not bent?

swervygerdy

hey welshpug

To be honest, I cant remember how different it was - enough for me to notice, not enough to prevent me using it!

The "quadrant" has been welded of a time and seems pretty straight. Its pivots via a bolt through a bearing set up. The bearing has seen better days for sure but its definately still nice and free moving. Can a new one still be had from peugeot?

Other than that I'm at a loss to explain it!

swervygerdy

OK, so, bit the bullet and removed the box again.

Replaced the pressure plate and took some photos of the release bearings - new and old - do they seem OK?

All back together and clutch is still heavy. :( Also, there seems to be a lot of play in the clucth fork before the release bearing makes contact with the pressure plate? So much so in fact that I had to use a longer connecting pin in the quadrant to take up the slack - hopefully the photos will explain a bit better... The release bearing is definately in situ.

Any advice welcomed!

IMAG1044_zps67497790.jpg

IMAG1045_zpse9c2493a.jpg

IMAG1083_zps7555cb96.jpg

IMAG1046_zps833680ef.jpg

mikeyd

the bush /nylon you have BEHIND the quadrant should sit in a bracket further up on top of the box

also the nut/locking nut are the wrong way round

Edited by mikeyd

farmer

The bolt you have on the quardrant there looks longer than the standard O.E "bullet" not sure if that will make a difference also.

Edited by farmer

swervygerdy

Mikey - thanks for that, I'll get that nylon bush swapped round - see if if makes any difference

Farmer - yeah - I've had to use a longer "bullet" to take up the slack in the fork and get the release bearing closer to the pressure plate - I'll see if mikeys advice helps at all.

Jez G

It maybe just the picture but the new release bearing looks to have a bigger diameter fulcrum on it than the old one. This will change the ratio of the clutch and increase the release loads.

I have just done a similar job on my phase 1 car I don't have the return spring? Also I brought a new release arm from Neat Car Parts on ebay.

I brought my clutch (an LUK one) from Halfords. I had to use the old release bearing as the new one was not right and would not fit correctly on the arm.

swervygerdy

Reviving an old thread here.....

I ended up making a bit of a hybrid box( read Frankenstein!) using the original be1 box but with a be3 clutch mechanism.

My issue now is that the clutch pedal is very long, almost right of the floor before it bites, with no adjustment left in the cable( be1 cable).

Any thoughts on a fix?

Getting very close to getting the old girl back on the road after a decade of gathering dust!

Tom Fenton

If you are using a BE3 style clutch arm then you need the BE3 cable which I think is shorter.

Anthony

Just use a BE3 pedal and BE3 cable if you've already swapped the clutch fork/arm/bearing - that way you've got a full BE3 setup that'll work properly.