• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Roon

Gti6 Non Pas Setup 'tensioner Shat Its Pants'

Roon

Basically after 6 days of owning the car back In January the alternator died. So payed good money at a garage for a new bosch unit and tensioner and belt. 6 days after that i had a whirring noise coming from it almost like a supercharger.

Took it back and got a load of billy bulls*it saying oh yeah thats the tensioner. Well yes i payed you to replace that as you would do when replacing a belt. Had it looked at by others and told the belt is way overtighted which is what i thought.

But this morning i developed a horrific noise. The bearings have collapsed on the tensioner so its not really usable as it will come off.

But i have no idea what setup i am running as i did not carry out the conversion and previous owner is a total wanker! I have No PAS

Here are some pics if anyone can help me with what tensioner i need and what belt i will be so great full.

071150EA.jpg?t=1364637685

FA8598BE.jpg?t=1364637714

If more specific pics are needed let me know. Thanks Paul

ORB

Looks like a cam belt tensioner to me

Roon

what i thought.

Ah yes that looks exactly like my setup. So i have the belt part number, but does anyone know what tensioner that is?

I have a ramp and garage i can use today if i can get everything!

Thanks for the quick replies

ORB

I would take it off ASAP and take it to ECP and show them.

Roon

Drove 10 miles home like that. Scared me to death. Who is ECP buddy?

Seen in chipsticks thread that he uses GTI6 tensioner so think thats what ill order up. Has exact setup as mine.

ORB

Euro Car Parts

welshpug

i think miles commented theyre a bit wide as you can see, an 8 valve xu tensioner I think is the same diameter but narrower, probably cheaper too.

Paul_13

Looks like the gti 6 136tooth cambelt tensioner to me

You will need a sump plug key to tension it by the way

chipstick

Looks like the gti 6 136tooth cambelt tensioner to me

You will need a sump plug key to tension it by the way

I didn't with mine. I just did the M8 bolt hand tight so it was still adjustable and popped a screwdriver or similar through the hole and added tension while nipping up the bolt.

Paul_13

Fair enough everyone had their own way of doing it. Found it easier on mine as the water pipe was in the way

Roon

Ordered up the belt finding it hard to get the tensioner tho not being in stock and easter weekend. Where can i get the sump plug key to tighten it?

Great information here people. Anyone have the part number for tensioner?

welshpug

looks like the tu tensioner pulley is the same so readily available

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TIMING-CAM-BELT-TENSIONER-PEUGEOT-205-1-0-1-1-1-3-1-4-87-98-1-6-1-9-GTI-92-98-/300872201000

check those dimensions are suitgable, but dont buy it from there, gsf add an "ebay premium" its cheaper on the website and even cheaper instore.

Roon

Ah that does look very similar welsh and cheap!

Other seller will only sell entire kit which is around 50 quid!

Edited by Roon

chris-gti

I would say pretty much any tensioner will work as long as it's M8 bolt and the same off centre style.

ORB

A quick tensioning tool can be made with a 6mm Allen key, file flats onto opposing sides and jobs jobbed

Roon

Been on the phone to GSF Very helpfull guy.

1.6/1.9 looks almost identical to 306. Part number is exactly the same bar 1 digit.

Part number is IA531003310 for gti6 engine.

Part number is IA531003210 for 1.6/1.9 engine.

Dimensions seem almost the same bar the width so could work? However they had neither in stock :(

Getting there lol!

chris-gti

pop a wanted up for a second hander just to get you going, surely someone near you has one kicking about in their bits bins that'll get you going. might be worth a trip round a local garage if they are open just to see if they have anything.

Miles

As said better off with a TU/late XU 8v tensioner, half the width. This is around the most common way of doing the belt

Roon

at the garage now, payed 109 pounds for the cambelt kit from pug. Was the only person to have one everywhere else said no. Friend dropped off his old xu8 tensioners. I see what you

mean about it being better as half tyhe width however there is no hole to tighten it up. Anybody got any pics to illistrate. As Pug said i can bring it back to them.

drove the 6 miles here and tensioner had come so far off it had started to cut into the water pipe making a nice smell.

Roon

Right so a few pictures from my mad mad day.

When i got to my best mates garage all we could smell was burning and didn't sound healthy either.

Car up we discover tensioner came right away only held on by rubbing on the water pipe!!! All bearings somewhere in a sleepy village!

We wanted to work out why it had failed so badly and so quickly and we discovered that the belt even with the tensioner off was still tight as hell you could budge it!!

Belt was also one tooth to thin so not making full contact! We get it off and compare it to the proper belt the 6pk700 and its miles shorter and obviously a lot thinner.

So cut it off and within 20 seconds new correct belt on all tensioned up proper not insanely tight. So having fixed it in sub 10 mins we decided to fit my brand new gaz to replace the bodged Spax on the rear giving me horrible ride handling and constant thudding!

Again this took 10 mins to our suprise so yeah i love 205's lol.

Ill let the pictures show productiveness.

Again thanks to everyone with their help and input without it id have not had a working car on my drive! Really appreciated

What was left

977AFAB7.jpg?t=1364669517

113D1E34.jpg?t=1364669548

All new and shiny

0A2CE625.jpg?t=1364669669

Crappy Spax

610AEA24.jpg?t=1364669724

Bushes had insane play like silly! thus the understeer floaty arse and annoying thud thud thud!!

This is the scale of the 'mechanic's' skill. He is the sort of person who would sell his Mother!

These were the washers we could be bothered to pick up just WHY!!!!

8B18BE54.jpg?t=1364669794

No play and look at home!

C401C8A7.jpg?t=1364669853

70632063.jpg?t=1364669887

But totally worth it for the Mint shell.!

• Like 1

Miles
petert

A lot of people bag out Gaz on here. One person even said he'd rather push his 205 then fit Gaz. Yet Colin Satchell seems to make them work ok on his very competitive 205? We don't have them down under, so I don't really understand their reputation one way or the other.