• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
scottbarton

Front And Rear Bumper Red Trim Fixing Clips

scottbarton

Going to replace my bumper red trim tomorrow. I have had a look at it and they are fixed by the little white plastic clips. The original red strip pops of quite easily...is it designed to do this? And to replace it simply pushes back on, without the need to remove the white clips?

chipstick

They don't need a huge amount of pressure to come from the red strip no as the plug through the bumper holes are more stubborn than the small flexible edges on the faces. Probably designed to be easy to release so you don't bend the fragile strips.

When I refitted mine I put the clips in the bumper holes and then put the clip on and applied pressure over each clip.

From what I understand from your post it would appear your red trim has come off with the clips within it. You can either remove them easily or put it back on in the same fashion - although I'd be wary of applying pressure to individual white clips and having the trim bed while the others aren't perhaps quite lined up. Avoidable if careful, but worth thinking about before you dive in.

Edited by chipstick

chipstick

A random thought- if the clips did come out of the bumper very easily as of the holes are in fact too big, perhaps you have a pattern bumper fitted and someones drilled the holes a tad on the large side.

scottbarton

Sorry, probably did not make it clear....

The white clips have stayed fast in the bumper....not budging at all.

It looks like getting the old red strip off won't be much of an issue....question was more for refitting the new red strip. Will the new red trim clip over the white clips whilst in situ, or do I need to prise the white clips out, fit them to the trim, and then mount on the bumper? I am guessing not from your reply?

I have seen some clips on eBay but if I can utilise what I have got it will save me some pennies.

Daviewonder

Leave them in the bumper, make sure they're lined up and just clip the red strip home.

chipstick

Yeah just leave them in situ and pop the new trim back on to them.

scottbarton

Good stuff. Cheers chaps.