• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
fliprio

205 Rallye Starting Problem

fliprio

have a starting problem with my 205 Rallye that I have acquired recently.

Sometimes it starts fine, other times usually once it’s warm or you have tried to turn it over a couple of times it won’t turn over.

When it won’t turn over you can hear the faint sound of the starter spinning, but that’s about it.

The previous owner had the RAC out when it started doing it and they put a crimp connector on the back of the starter solenoid so that you could attach a jump lead and touch it on the battery + connection which makes it start.

Anyone had this before, wiring, starter or just the solenoid? You can’t hear a clicking of any kind which is what I could always hear on my 1.6 GTI when it did something similar.

fliprio

has anyone got a wiring diagram for the starter solinoid, im just wondering if its the 12v feed from the ignition switch that is troublesome, its a bit hard from up the top to see which part the small crimp connector to bypass the ignition switch is connected to.

Saying that if the starter does make a failnt spinning sound, that should mean the solenoid is getting power?

ORB

It sounds to me that the solenoid wire from the ignition to the solenoid is in a poor state. On a GTI it's normally due to the multiplug on to of the gearbox. (Blue wire)

To me, where I'd start is to chase the solenoid wire back as far as I can and replace it, ideally to the ignition.

fliprio

It sounds to me that the solenoid wire from the ignition to the solenoid is in a poor state. On a GTI it's normally due to the multiplug on to of the gearbox. (Blue wire)

To me, where I'd start is to chase the solenoid wire back as far as I can and replace it, ideally to the ignition.

Thanks, the bit thats strange is that when it doesnt turn over you can still hear the starter slowly spinning over, I thought the solenoid switches when it receives a 12v feed, so if the 12v feed was a bit on the doddgy side, it just wouldnt do anything.

fliprio

Just bring up this post again, I have finaly gotten around to looking at it, it only gets around 7.8v on the blue switched 12v at the solenoid which makes the starter turn slowly but not engage

I take it this means the wire is damaged somewhere along its length as there is a small short/resistance to ground somewhere dropping the 12v down to 7.8? Does this wire remain blue all the way back to the ignition switch?

Dizzee stuff

what voltage do you get at the starter motor on the large main cable while trying to turn over the engine?

fliprio

12v with the ignition on and it drops have half a volt when trying to start as its under load turning the starter over very slightly.

If I bypass the 12v blue wire with a jump lead from the 12v feed terminal to the battery, it turns over

fliprio

I have started to trace back the blue wire, looking at where I actualy get 12v.

I get 12v at the first plug under the inlet tract, so I replaced this length of wire but still no joy. So I tried with the 12v blue wire disconnected from the starter and it kicks out 12v.

Just to make sure im not going mad, I stuck a jump lead from the 12v terminal on the starter to the + on the battery, hey presto the starter springs into life.

Is this a case of the 12v dropping when under load as apposed to not being connected and no load? I will end up having to replace the whole wire if it reads 12v everywhere.

welshpug

Personally I would replace it all the way back to the closest plug inside the car :)

• Like 1