• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
fliprio

Timing Strut Location

fliprio

I am just making up my timing strut , has anyone got pictures of good locations to mount it as per the regs below?

Timing Struts
– Where timing is activated by a light beam, the vehicles will be fitted at the
front with a vertical
timing strut, minimum vertical height 254mm, the bottom of which shall be not less
than 180mm and no more than
200mm from the ground. The strut will be in matt black on both sides, over its
total area, which shall be not
less than 254mm by 51mm. No other, or further forward, part of the vehicle may
interrupt these dimensions or
actuate the timing.

TT205

If this can wait till after Sunday I can take a photo for you of mine attached to the car

Easiest place to attach it is via one of the number plate screws

All you are trying to achieve is to create a vertical rectangular piece of ally/plastic/whatever of specific dimensions positioned at a specific height

TT205

You can make out the timing strut on the picture below - that one doesn't meet current regs dimension wise (was 5+ years ago) but gives you an idea of what they are like

post-132-0-43731300-1363947835_thumb.jpg

fliprio

thanks, so its basicly an L shapped bracket that you have bolted onto the number plate fixing

Baz

I bolt mine into the tow-eye, fits multiple 205's then and I never use the standard tow eye anyway because they're sh!t!

fliprio

Baz, good idea

I tried to click on the links in your signature for some pics, but the links dont seem to work

Baz

Baz, good idea

I tried to click on the links in your signature for some pics, but the links dont seem to work

No, one of the 'mods' cocked it up and it's never been fixed, I can't do it either.

Mine's a bit elaborate tbh but it works, it was extended a few years ago when they changed the regs and has been bashed a few times but easily straightens out!

It's basically two pieces of ali, a horizontal one that bolts to the towing eye with a 90d bent tab that's then pop riveted to a larger upright piece.

I'll grab some pics and post them when I have some time/on the PC!

Edited by Baz

fliprio

Thanks Miles, I have made up something similar

No, one of the 'mods' cocked it up and it's never been fixed, I can't do it either.

Mine's a bit elaborate tbh but it works, it was extended a few years ago when they changed the regs and has been bashed a few times but easily straightens out!

It's basically two pieces of ali, a horizontal one that bolts to the towing eye with a 90d bent tab that's then pop riveted to a larger upright piece.

I'll grab some pics and post them when I have some time/on the PC!

Thanks Baz, I have made something up today, hopefully it will stay in one peice