• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dobby909

Sunroof Vacuum Help!

dobby909

basically a long story short, i went to drill out the sheared bolt for my bonnet hinge and removed this large odd looking black box (which was it turns out the resevuor) and unplugged it to the sound of escaping air and now of course my sunroof wont vacuum back shut! how the hell do i get the air back into the system?! any pcitures or clear diagrams are appreciated :)

ORB

Start the engine

dobby909

I started the engine, and the vacuum doesn't work unless the little switch by the latch is pressed... But when the latch is closed the switch isn't compressed so it doesn't vacuum :/ confused

ORB

when the latch is open, the rubber seal should compress allowing you to open the sunroof by sliding the glass back.

when the handle is closed, the seal should inflate sealing the glass

Anthony

With the engine running at idle, it will create a vacuum with lower than atmospheric pressure inside the plenum. This vacuum is used by the brake servo to give you assistance, and by the sunroof to collapse the seal.

The purpose of the black box under the scuttle panel is to store vacuum to allow you to open and close the sunroof without starting the engine. When you disconnected the hose, air rushed into the box and the vacuum returned to atmospheric pressure.

As per ORB's description above, with the sunroof handle in the closed position, the seal is not exposed to the vacuum and thus stays inflated (for use of a better word, although it's not pressurised) which pushes against the glass and seals it. With the handle in the open position, the valve is opened and the seal exposed to vacuum, which causes it to collapse in on itself, moving it away from the glass, unsealing it and allowing you to easily open and close the roof. Put the handle back in the closed position, and the seal is no longer exposed to vacuum and returns to its pre-collapsed state, re-sealing the glass.

You can open and close the roof even without vacuum, but it's hard to move and you risk damaging the seal so isn't advised.

chipstick

Quite a clever little idea really isn't it.

dobby909

Cheers for the help guys! I didn't realise or know how it works, but now I do know ill see if ican fix the leak and update you soon!