• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
aarontrophy

2.0 8V Turbo Exhaust

aarontrophy

Hi guys,

Is 3 inch system from manifold all the way to big?

Cheers

welshpug

depends on power level and turbo size, I would imagine 2.5" would be more suitable.

mang

I run a 2 3/4 looks good sounds good power level great :-) I know people the use 3" fine

P2trick

if used 2,5" perfect for this kind engine

stef205

its more about flow rather than diameter of piping, i use 2.5" with 3 highflow boxes.

mang

2.5 is no good if you want to run alot of power just get the 3" doesnt matter if its to big and then you know if you do want to run silly power you can :-)

stef205

Absolute rubbish this has been discussed loads of times on here. Matt on here was/is running almost 400bhp on a 2.5" system on his 180 charged engine.

kuuner

Yeah, but 400 bhp with a 2,5" is too small. Is the same as you breathe trough a reed. You get enough air in order not to die, but you will not breathe easy. Try to fit a 3" exhaust and you will notice that the turbo spools up quicker and probably produces the same bhp at lower psi.

For what I know is 2.5" adequate to max. 250~300 bhp. That's what they adviced me for my set-up. If you're on the max. you could consider to mount a 3" downpipe and go to 2,5" in the middle. The exhaust gases cool anyway.

mang

All I can say is good for matt thats not how I would run my car considering the mass of uneeded back pressure

welshpug

mass of uneeded back pressure

which is not there because he has specified the correct size for his application, not built a fart cannon, with good reason as its a track car and needs to be a sensible volume.

Tom Fenton

I think in actual fact he took off a 3" system to replace with a 2.5" system.

Henry Yorke

Matts was supercharged though, not turbocharged, so the back pressure would have less impact on the turbo and the scavenge effect is needed more

kuuner

Ah okay, i missed that part. :blush: