• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Obey_R

Speedo Drive Unit Problems

Obey_R

So I bought new drive dogs and I've got a new speedo cable but I think there's a problem with the unit itself. On the end where the small red cog fits, is there meant to be an additional square drive which fits into the cog? Or is it that the speedo cable should be long enough to go through into the cog?

At the moment there looks to be left overs of a square drive but it is nowhere near long enough to mate up with the reg cog. I'm hoping it's that bit thats broken and I can just fit a new drive unit?

welshpug

is it an elecrtonic pickup unit?

Obey_R

I don't know what that is haha its just the standard white drive unit for a BE3 1900 box, cog in one end cable in the other. It does have a connection on it though, yes.

welshpug

Its not the standard unit if it has a 3pin plug on it, however it is correct for your application if you have a gti6 or s16 ecu, or similar non 205 sysyem and a mechanical speedometer head.

There should be a square drive pin for the cog to engage with, speedo cable plugs into the top.

Only with a full mechanical drive unit does the cable go directly into the cog

Edited by welshpug

Obey_R

Okay thanks. So I need to retain that type of drive unit as I have a GTi6 fitted, correct? I can see a loose bit of plastic rattling about inside the bottom of the unit so I guess it's pretty broken.

welshpug

right part number and looks good, bloomin bargain price to.

Obey_R

Thanks!