• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Karl

Identifying A Tapping Head From Tapping Injectors (Gti6)

Karl

how would you identify wether the head is tapping or if its the injectors my gti6 taps and ive believed it to be the head but its been brought to my attention it may be the injectors. any ideas as to how to distinguish which it is thanks in advance guys

welshpug

They are quite different sounds and frequencies, but placing a large screwdriver to your ear then against the cam cover or injector should narrow it down.

or just get a decent video and upload it.

Karl

ill give the screwdriver trick a try if not ill try and get a video up cheers mei

Karl

tried the screwdriver trick the two injectors on the right are ticking a little but on the cam cover its louder so im gessing its the valves or something i will still put a video up tommorrow any suggestions on what to use as im not a memeber on youtube lol

welshpug

Get an account sorted on youtube or flickr, photobucket seems to be crap these days.

Karl

ok haha thanks for the screwdriver tip nifty little idea that

ORB

I ran my car for the first time ever this week. It tapped like fook and I was all worried.

Left it ticking for 5 mins and it went silky smooth.

My MI16 did the same.

Noisy injectors tend to be a click.

What I'm saying is, be prepared for bad news :(

Karl

cheers mate haha and that tapping would be because there was no oil around the engine it would have all drained to the bottom :)

Edited by Karl

allye

Get your injectors reconned, pretty cheap to do.

Anthony

Also, on a GTi-6 in particular, double check the spark plugs are nipped up - they occasionally seem to loosen themselves off a little, creating a noise that sounds a little like a "tapper".

Injectors tends to be more of a tick/click sort of sound and is likely to be barely audible with the bonnet closed.

Lazy tappets tend to make a sort of tapping-rattling sound, and this would usually tend to show particularly after first starting from being parked for a length of time, and getting quieter/disappearing after driving for a while.

More than likely though, if this noise has been present since before you bought the car, chances are that it's had a belt snap previously or a bodged cambelt swap, and the "tapping" is valve/guide damage. Normally quite pronounced and usually loud enough that you can hear it still with the bonnet closed.

Karl

thanks guys will uplaod a video shortly to give you guys a better idea :)

Karl

- heres the video it starts with my exhaust just because i was concerned about the white coloured smoke that starts to appear a few seconds after startup (u may be able to help me out with this too) and then my tapping engine :(

welshpug

could have turned the bloody stereo off :lol: THUDTHUDTHUD ...

Does sound like a tapper, cylinder 2 maybe? As for the smoke, what does it smell like? Coolant and oil are quite different and distinctive.

Karl

hahaha. im not sure what either smell like so i couldnt say

Paul_13

Might be worth using the screwdriver method on the vac pump. I've known a few to fail and tap/rattle like crazy

Karl

dont think its that paul i can hear tapping but not as loud as when its on the cam

Edited by Karl