• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
bondyshambles

How Do I Remove Injectors ?

bondyshambles

Hi there....as per title. I have had a search on the forum and can't really find a definitive way of doing this (obviously i am an amateur). Do I...

1) Need to depressurise system in anyway?

2) Unscrew them or pull them out?

3) What scary things are likely to go wrong i.e. losing seals etc and how do i stop this ?

I have the yellow injectors on a 1.9 205 1990.

Cheers in advance.

rallysteve

When I removed the injectors on my 1.6 8v I unbolted the fuel rail, disconnected all the pipes (to release the pressure I just loosen the pressure feed to the rail with a rag around it). To get the injectors out the manifold I blow all the debris from around the holes with an airline then use a large open ended spanner to ease them out of the holes.

When re-fitting carefully check the o-rings for damage and a smear of grease around the o-rings will help you get them back in easier.

Steve

Anthony

I would consider removing the manifold before attempting to remove the injectors - normally it's fine, but the caps can pop off and they'll fall into the inlet ports if they do, and that's a major pain in the **** if it falls into one that has the valve open.

bondyshambles

Hmmm thought there would be some obstacle...By removing the manifold (eek) what would this achieve ? Do you mean place something through the hole to catch if something popped off ?

Slo

If you leave the manifold on and pull the injectors out and any of the caps fall off and the valve happens to be open the cap will fall into the piston below then its an expensive head off job whereas if you take off the manifold and they fall off your safe

welshpug

to depressurise the fuel system pull the fuel pump fuse (closest to the driver in the long row of them) then crank the engine, it may well fire up if there's still pressure in there, just let it run till it stalls.

bondyshambles

Scared now. Is there no way i can make sure that the valve is shut?

welshpug

yeah, take the camshaft out... :lol:

• Like 1

bondyshambles

See this is what a geek i am when you say manifold i think exhaust !!! You obviously mean inlet manifold :lol: . So i take it that there is maybe 4 nuts to undo and disconnect the pipes etc and just pull it off or does anything else have to come off the manifold first ?

welshpug

5 nuts/bolts to the cylinder ehad, and if fitted there's a bracket from the underside to the block near the starter, SAD pipe, few breathers, oil filler on the side, throttle cable, 4 injectors, TPS, and inlet pipework and fuel pipes.

you're right on the crossover period from L/H inner wing mounted ignition coil and Inlet mounted coil, but all you need to do is unlpug that.

Edited by welshpug

Anthony

In addition to Welshpug's comments above, remember that if it's an 8v, you'll need to part-drain the cooling system first, as there's a couple of coolant ways on the head that are exposed (and will thus leak!) when you remove the inlet manifold.

Don't you just love how what should be a simple job becomes a long-winded pain? :lol:

DamirGTI

Myself , never ever had caps popping off , and did this xy times :rolleyes:

Just spray some WD40 or silicone spray in the holes where's the injectors O-rings , turn each one a few times left-right (to break loose) undo the rail bolts and pull whole assembly out .. when it's dry its harder , when you "moisturize" the O-rings it'll came out much easier :)

D B)

farmer

I wouldn't risk a pintle cap falling off.

welshpug

have to say I've never had one fall off either.

farmer

I have seem them pop off !

bondyshambles

Nothing is ever simple.....I'll phone my dad :D .

farmer

Nothing is ever simple.....I'll phone my dad :D .

If you need help ask but it's always good to learn and watch :)

DamirGTI

Try to remove it from some spare injector with your hands , it isn't a sloppy joint needs an quite force to pry it off ..

D B)

• Like 1

bondyshambles

I have bought 4 injectors and was gonna send them off to be done. They are all yellow but noticed that 2 are different but either way the old ones have to come out. I agree that the caps are hard to pull off the injectors that i have bought.

GLPoomobile

Well I have had one pop off. It happened when trying to refit the injector rail. With new O rings on the injectors they were stiff to reseat, so I'd been giving the rail a few thumps to try and ease it on. After I while I decided to remove the rail, smear a bit more grease on the O rings and try again. Upon removing the rail, I happened to notice one cap missing. Oh s*it :angry:

I was very lucky. Valve was partially shut, and I was able to fish it out using the end of a pencil with some grease dabbed on it.

DamirGTI

Yes , very important - need to grease the injector O-rings while refitting back ! :) (preferably with silicone grease/spray .. but any other grease or even the engine oil will do the job ..)

Otherwise , when trying to force fit dry O-rings it's much harder and they can break apart .. especially on the injectors with smaller dia. O-rings .

D B)

lagonda

Instead of taking the manifold off...take the camshaft cover off, then turn the engine over using a large socket on the crankshaft pulley nut. Just turn until you see the valves for the cylinder you want to remove the injector from are closed, then remove the injector. Easier to do with the spark plugs out. Do the same for each injector in turn. Valves will be closed when both camshaft lobes for that cylinder are uppermost...you can always use a feeler gauge to be sure, between the cam base and tappet...for your purposes you don't even need them fully closed.

bondyshambles

Right then a bit of a delay but finally got round to this job today. I basically took out the 15a fuse (no 14 closest to the driver) and turned it over to depressurise system. Unclipped the connectors to the injectors. Unclipped the plug and lead to the coil (manifold mounted coil) for better access. Took the metal retaining clips off the injectors. Undid the 4 10m bolts that hold the fuel rail onto the manifold and then disconnected the fuel pipe to the rail. I had soaked the injectors the night before in WD40 to give me a chance. I took the rail off the injectors. I then removed each injector one at a time whylst praying that a pintle cap never came off, they didn't . They came out with a bit of elbow. I don't think that you could just pull the rail and expect to pull out all the injectors at once...i maybe wrong. I then pushed each injector back into the rail first (with a bit of WD40) as i believe that it would have been harder to try and push the rail back on squarely with the injectors already back in place also, it would be easier to use the rail as a bit of leverage if the injectors needed help going back in. Then i used a bit of oil in the injector locating holes to help get them back in. Put everything back together in reverse order to taking off and turned the key. Definitely a job an amateur could have a bash at. Hope this will help someone else and thanks for all your help.....oh and its another job done on the car that has still not fixed the idle issue but its another one ruled out.

Dizzee stuff

Good job you just need a bit of faith, just need to get that beam fixed now.

bondyshambles

Yeah....again. Biggest waste of money with so called proffesionals. Live and learn...the hard way :angry:

Edited by bondyshambles