• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
johnnyboy666

Has Anybody Put Indicators/repeaters In 205 Mirrors?

johnnyboy666

Just wondering if anybody has done (or has pics) of indicators/repeaters installed into a standard 205 wing mirror? Like a lot of newer cars tend to have. Would be interested to see what it looks like on a 205, perhaps with the type of wing without the repeater hole.

• Like 1

GLPoomobile

Would be interested to see what it looks like on a 205, perhaps with the type of wing without the repeater hole.

I can help clear this up

It'll look GAAAAAAAAAAAAY ;)

• Like 7

McDude

GLP is wrong - it'll look sh1t.

• Like 5

GLPoomobile

Let's meet in the middle then. It'll look like some gay s*it.

• Like 3

SurGie

You are all almost right except the missing part where it will look completely chavtastic too and tbh the time doing this could be spent improving the cars ride and handling etc !!

Anthony

If it's something that you want to give a go, then do so - it's not like 205 mirrors are rare or expensive, so it's just time.

My personal feeling is that even if done well, it will look somewhat at odds with the age/design of the car, but without trying it you'll never know.

AlexRS2782

Modern mod like that on a retro car is guaranteed to stand out like a sore thumb imo :(

As said though there's enough used 205 mirrors on ebay that could be bought cheap & fiddled with. Just make sure if you do it, take pics, post them up, etc, so we can have a chuckle :P

omega

i think it would work if you swapped the mirrors for something more recent so the mirrors fit snooth with the window.

iam sure i ve got some m3 style ones with indicatores in that i bought ages ago but never used

farmer

If it's phase one don't try and modify them mirrors whatever you do !

johnnyboy666

Oh I see people mis-read the part where I asked for opinions! I'm not quite sure how the looks have much to do with it, if its done right, you wouldnt even see it was there unless it was flashing.

Unless of course I gaffa taped a lexus light on there, just to make you all write a strongly worded letter to your MPs expressing how much you cried about it ;)

What I was thinking, was a completely flush repeater, with the lense the same colour as the mirror plastic.

The reason behind it being I'm replacing both wings soon, so was contemplating getting ones without repeater holes and relocating them to keep the rozzers/ mr MOT man happy

gavbrum

Give it a go Johnny. The challenge would be to prove these guys wrong.

• Like 2

Tesstuff

Give it a go Johnny. Everything else about your car is unique/barmy/off the wall/bizarre, so why not mate? :)

Totally agree gavbrum.

• Like 1

omega

The reason behind it being I'm replacing both wings soon, so was contemplating getting ones without repeater holes and relocating them to keep the rozzers/ mr MOT man happy

i wonder what the law says as my old 309 didnt have them and passed the mot with no problems/or are they law after a certain date?

johnnyboy666

I think I'll stick on the top of my pile of little projects and see what comes of it.

I think the side repeaters MOT rule is date-related, but I've heard some people say that the front indicators are visable enough from the side to pass the MOT.

I was just pondering out loud (which is a dangerous game round here these days it seems!)

glenwah

Vehicles first used after 1/4/86 must be fitted with one side repeater indicator on each side. Instead of a separate lamp, the side repeater might be part of the front direction indicator if it includes a wraparound lens.

Wrap-around indicators are tested by standing approximately 1000mm to the side of the vehicles rear bumper with indicator on. If amber light can be seen coming through the front lens (not a reflection) this is acceptable. If it cannot be seen, repeaters are required.

• Like 1

GLPoomobile

Just wondering if anybody has done (or has pics) of indicators/repeaters installed into a standard 205 wing mirror? Like a lot of newer cars tend to have. Would be interested to see what it looks like on a 205, perhaps with the type of wing without the repeater hole, and would gratefully receive loads of opinions from everyone even if you all think it's a load of gay s*it

Oh I see people mis-read the part where I asked for opinions!

Huh :huh: You DID ask for opinions! It's up there, in the first post. Look, I've quoted it for you. Quotes don't lie my friend ;)

Now to be fair, you weren't really very clear about what your plans were. Had you specified that you wanted to do something discreet, almost invisible even, you'd have got a better reception. Given that you said you wanted to something like modern cars have, and since most have fairly obvious lenses in the mirrors, it doesn't drum up the idea in my head of something discrete. First thing I thought was, those awful M3 style mirrors with the repeaters in them, which look like gay s*it.

Now if I can reset my Karmic balance by offering a useful contribution, an easy way would be to drill some small holes in the side of the mirror shell and flush mount some very small LEDs in a line. Probably only need 3 or 4 per mirror. You could probably make them more discreet by tinting them too. How much light you'd get out of them in daytime might be sticking point though.

Henry Yorke

There is only one solution my friend...

motor-scooters-misc-mods-wing-mirrors.jp

I was about to post the same as GLPoo where you remove the glass, drill some holes and push through the LEDs. As long as they provide the same candle power as a 5W bulb then they will be the same as a side repeater.

Alternately, why not fit them to the roof rack mounts (assuming this is for your 5 door). On a GTI / or your wide arches, you could drill them into the plastic arch and push the LEDs through there.

omega

if you do use leds as suggested by henry make sure you get the ones that are e marked to be 100% right.