• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Bigbadbowen

1.9 Engine And Box Value

Bigbadbowen

Firstly sorry if this is the wrong section but just wanted to know what peoples thoughts are on the value of my complete 1.9 8v engine and box from my 205 ?

It's coming out in the near future as being replaced with a 6 lump

It's in really good condition drives perfectly , gear box is perfect - no blue smoke at idle. Has been really well looked after all its life with regular services. It has covered 160k

Doesn't leak oil or water and goes rather well. Can be heard running and driven if required ?

Thoughts please people ?

Cheers

Chris

allanallen

Unfortunately they're worth very little nowadays, especially when you seem to be able to pick a complete 6 conversion up for a couple of hundred quid. My rebuilt 8v will be coming out for a 6 shortly and I'll probably just keep it for a rainy day rather than punt it on for peanuts.

brumster

£70-100 for the engine, £30 for the gearbox, IMHO.

Miles

As above, I have stacks of engines which I know run fine, even a 28k one but 8v's are worth little, If you hang onto it for another 10 years then it may increase

Anthony

I disagree. Whilst you could barely give them away 2-3 years back, these days a good 1.9 8v engine is probably worth £100-150 if complete and proven, and certainly I've seen plenty sell for that (and sold the odd one myself). A shagged, smokey one that burns more oil than petrol and is crying out for a rebuild is pretty much worth scrap money though.

A GTi-6 engine might be cheap, but chances are, the people putting an 8v in aren't the same people on the most part that'll be putting a GTi-6 in.

Gearboxes I'd say £50-75 for a known good one - again, this is what I've sold them for and what I've seen plenty of others go for. 1.9 'boxes aren't really worth as much as 1.6 and particularly Mi16 ones though as they're not really desirable to the 16v crowd, and BE1 worth less than BE3.

Simes

Sold both of mine for £80, both had less than 90k miles.

One in 2003 and the other in 2009.

Bigbadbowen

Hmmm so it's worth nothing then ? Is it a case of worth more broken down ? Maybe keep it then ? Still not 100% sure I should change engines as car is pretty much original and standard ?

chipstick

Do what you want with it.

Will be more sought after left original, but then is that what you want from the car?

The more I spend on mine the less it's worth as a whole, but would I enjoy it the same amount if it was stock? I don't think so.