• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
FireFly

205 (Be1) / 306 (Be3) Gear Box Differences?

FireFly

Planning on getting the XUD7 (BE1) box converted to a XUD9 (BE3) box along with clutch, cable, etc on Monday so need to make sure I have everything I need!

From what me and Dan have discussed the bits needed to swap from the BE1-BE3 box are:

+ XUD9 Clutch pedal (or adapt XUD7 pedal with grinder)
+ XUD9 Clutch (I have a complete XUD9 unit: friction plate, release bearing, cover & fly)
+ XUD9 Gearbox

+ Gear stick/knob without lifting mechanism *please clarify*

+ XUD7 (BE1) Differential 'Crown Wheel' to swap into XUD9 (BE3) box to keep 205 drive shafts

Is there anything else that's been overlooked?

Thanks guys! ^_^

dcc

not quite!

+ be3 Clutch pedal (or adapt be1 pedal with grinder)
+ be3 Clutch (I have a complete XUD9 unit: friction plate, release bearing, cover & fly)
+ XUD9 (be3) Gearbox

+ Gear stick/knob without lifting mechanism *please clarify* (you can just leave this - its only the very top bits which shows what gear :) )

+ XUD7 (BE1) Differential 'Crown Wheel' to swap into XUD9 (BE3) box to keep 205 drive shafts

+ Be3 cable

• Like 1

Anthony

If the gearbox is from a 306, you'll need to swap the selector arm over for a 205 style one.

The gear stick and knob can remain - you can remove the lift-up mechanism and cable.

If your car is a 1989 it will have the later type pedal box that will take a BE3 cable - early cars won't (at least without modification)

• Like 1

welshpug

post 90 pedal, doesn't have to be from BE3 vehicle, just any post 90 205 with a manual box! or mod the pedal from a hole to a slot.

I think the car was late 88.

regarding the clutch, it currently has a 215mm push type 1.9 MI16 unit, and a 205 BE1 release bearing, therefore an XUD9 clutch wont fit as it is 200mm, XUD9TE will fit as they are 215mm, pull type so compatible with the 306 clutch arm, however I don't know how easily that will work with a 205 clutch cable.

it would be easier to fit a push type clutch fork and retain the clutch already fitted and get a new release bearing.

• Like 1

FireFly

Cheers fella's.

@Mei - my mistake everything I have is for a XUD9TE not the N/A version. I managed to get a brand new valeo clutch kit for a XUD9TE so I'm just going to stick the whole lot in for piece of mind. Don't want to have to be messing around with clutchs for a long time after this!

+ XUD9TE (BE3) Clutch pedal (or adapt XUD7 pedal with grinder)

+ XUD9TE (BE3) Clutch Cable
+ XUD9TE (BE3) Clutch (I have a complete XUD9TE unit: friction plate, release bearing, cover & fly)
+ XUD9TE (BE3) Gearbox

+ Gear stick/knob (optional)

+ XUD7 (BE1) Differential 'Crown Wheel' to swap into XUD9TE (BE3) box to keep 205 drive shafts (on the car)
+ XUD7 selector arm (on the car)

Edited by FireFly

welshpug

set of diff bolts would be advisable, for some reason they often strip the threads.

• Like 1

FireFly

Nice one, roll on Monday!

mikeyd

may have to modify the pedal box where the cable goes in so a round file or those taper/stepped drill bits may be needed [depends on the clutch cable end fitted]

FireFly

It didn't fit..

4gjehy.jpg

358axxx.jpg

2z6z4md.jpg

Clutch inside appears to be fine, trying a new cable.

Anthony

You didn't read what I put, did you?

#1 is the selector arm that I said would need to be swapped.

#2 will be fine once you remove the remains of the old gear rod joint from the 306 box.

Oh, and while you're there, remove the other pivot ball thing that's attached to the diff housing bolts on the 306 box - not needed for a 205.

welshpug

and fit a 205 mounting stud, IIRC that one is ruddy tight as I do recall trying to remove it myself to make things easier. when shifting engines in and out but it didn't budge.

FireFly

Despite not getting the BE3 box fitted I now have a usable clutch.

However alternator is royally dead.

Just drove it an hour with headlights on as its night and by time I got home battery was drained despite it being fully charged last night.

dcc

hey trent

Glad the clutch is all ok now. were there any differences in the cable which you removed to the one you fitted?

FireFly

hey trent

Glad the clutch is all ok now. were there any differences in the cable which you removed to the one you fitted?

No I got a new replacement manually adjusted BE1 cable for £15.

The BE3 self adjusting ones are £25+!