• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
sy84

Mi16 On Carbs Dizzy Vs 16V Loom

sy84

Hi guys I'm getting ready to pull the gti6 lump out off my 205 and drop mi16 with 45webers on,my plan was use a dizzy conversion then later down the line go for fully mappable omex kit or similar,I have been told its good to keep the mi16 loom along with the carbs and have the throttle position sensor fully open.

Would I benefit a lot buy using 16v loom? Dizzy conversion seams a lot more simple to me and as hopefully in around a years time I will be able to afford to fit some cams and fully mappable ignition is it really worth it?

welshpug

personally, buy a gti6 loom from miles, more power, more torque, better fuel economy, more reliable.

dcc

why are you pulling a 6 lump out?

calvinhorse

My vote is 6 on 6 management

From experience with both.

• Like 1

sy84

The wireing is very poor on gti6 I already hav a mi16 with carbs so that will make more power also Been told mi16 Easyer to tune ie high lift cams

dcc

no, no and no.

gti6 only needs 3 wires to run.

mi16 wont make more power, even on carbs.

and its the same for any engine regarding tuning.

rallyeash

Don't do it. The mi16 on carbs will be s*it compared to a proper running injected gti6.

More torque and power straight out the box!

Anthony

It sounds to me like you need to stop and take stock of where you are now, and what you're looking to achieve.

If you've currently got a running GTi-6 but with a poorly done loom, it seems crazy to remove that for the sake of a replacement wiring loom - even if you're not in a position where you can do the wiring yourself, they're not a whole deal of money for a ready converted loom from someone like Spiky or Miles.

That will give you a running known quantity that'll do everything well for a standard engine - power, driveability, reliability, economy.

What a GTi-6 is quite limited for, without spending a fair amount of money, is hotter cams if you're planning on going down the tuned N/A route. Mi16 and S16's are much better in this regard.

A standard Mi16 on carbs seems like a bit of a backwards step in some ways, but done properly will work fairly well and should make a little more power than a standard GTi-6 - the key there is "done properly" which means getting someone that knows what they're doing to set the carbs up and preferably a recurved dizzy or better still, mappable, ignition setup. I wouldn't personally go down that route on a daily driver, but on a weekend play thing the noise and response are addictive.

You can use a Mi16 loom for ignition only to a point, but I'm not convinced it's going to be optimal given that the ECU won't have any sense of load (ie no AFM) and hence you're likely to just have a basic 2D ignition map which may or may not be quite conservative (as I'd imagine that it would be there more as a limp home fallback). Frankly, if you've got a Mi16 loom and ECU, you might as well run the engine on full Mi16 management (ie plenum and injection) if standard-ish - you'll lose the soundtrack of the carbs, but you'll get an argueably better all round package for considerably less outlay.

Don't forget that if you're going from a GTi-6 to Mi16 then you're going to need another exhaust, different coolant hoses etc.

Personally, I'd just get the GTi-6 loom sorted if that's the only problem.

B11 BOB

Don't do it. The mi16 on carbs will be s*it compared to a proper running injected gti6.

More torque and power straight out the box!

A mi16 on carbs set up correctly would be far quicker than a gti6 on injection whether it be on a track or a straight line.

stu8v

A mi16 on carbs set up correctly would be far quicker than a gti6 on injection whether it be on a track or a straight line.

Bit of a bold statement...

welshpug

bob is known for his bold statements, like his insistence that a gti6 with carbs and cams is standard :lol:

B11 BOB
bob is known for his bold statements, like his insistence that a gti6 with carbs and cams is standard :lol:[/quote
bob is known for his bold statements, like his insistence that a gti6 with carbs and cams is standard :lol:

Like ive always said to you if you got a personal issue send me a pm.This post is titled Mi16 on Carbs Dizzy Vs16 V loom bear that in mind before posting comments that have no bearing regards the original post.

Baz

:lol:

- when it comes to technical information and guidance, think twice before you hit
the "submit" button - make sure that information and knowledge you are about to
share is either first hand or verified fact. hear-say and deliberate misinformation
will not be tolerated.

B11 BOB

:lol:

Ive had both with the same gearbox a 205 gti6 on standard injection and a 205 Mi16 on carbs so I am quoting from personal experience. Also the simple fact is more air more fuel equals more power simple when you get down to the basics really unless the law of physics has changed and more air and more fuel equals less power.

sy84

the plan is later down the line to fit fast road cams the the mi16 would be the easyer engine to do this to

camgti

Ive had both with the same gearbox a 205 gti6 on standard injection and a 205 Mi16 on carbs so I am quoting from personal experience. Also the simple fact is more air more fuel equals more power simple when you get down to the basics really unless the law of physics has changed and more air and more fuel equals less power.

Rookie.

Actually, technically, more air, less fuel make more power but too much heat.

The 6 will still be faster unless the carbs are set to perfection with the right cams ( $$$ )

Buy and fit the loom in a matter of 2 weeks to the 6 engine and enjoy

Do the MI16 option and the car will be off the road for months and $$$ will be out of your pocket. Save it and build a proper MI16 motor if thats your thing while you kill the 6.

Cam