• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pugpete1108

Snapped Head Bolt.....any Advice?

pugpete1108

removing the gti6 head today i managed to snap a head bolt (odd as they only went in a month or two ago), good news is it was at the top part of the thread so i have a good amount sticking out of the block to get hold of.

whats my best course of action?

plenty of pentration fluid along with some heat on the bolt itself then some mole grips on the shaft?

welding a nut on is a no no as i have no power at the garage?

luckily its also one of the front ones so i cn see the nd of the bolt out the bottom of the block.

Slo

If you've taken the head back off it should be very loose since the tightness comes from pulling the head down, just get some moles grips on it and it should come out easy

chipstick

2 nuts tight against each other would be my first attempt.

16v205

If you can't get 2 nuts on it, file flats into the thread on opposite sides to give the mole grips something to bite onto rather than clamping the round threads.

Managed to get 2 stud locked wheel studs out my hub last weekend with a pair of pliers this way.

Rich

pugpete1108

i'll try the two nuts first then, what size are they? m10 or something?

welshpug

M12x1.5.

harryskid

If two nuts won't work try a pair of small stillsons ie 10" or smaller far better on a round surface than mole grips. Also you won't have to file flats on the bolt which would be a right pain, daft idea that!

welshpug

really shouldn't need any of that lot given the bolt only went in a month ago.

• Like 1

16v205

Also you won't have to file flats on the bolt which would be a right pain, daft idea that!

Dont knock it unless youve tried it, with a basic tool kit like most people may have access to its not as daft as you might think, only takes a few seconds and gives good purchase on the bolt. There's plenty of meat on a m12 bolt.

Either which way using stilsons or filing the thread pop a cloth around the bolt area because as soon as you put effort on the threads your going to generate swarf.

Rich

pugpete1108

M12x1.5.

looks like the xu7 is m11x1.5 xu10 is m12

welshpug

yes that's right, you mentioned gti6 but didn't say it was a different block :lol:

pugpete1108

yes that's right, you mentioned gti6 but didn't say it was a different block :lol:

bloody hell keep up :lol:

Miles

with the load off it should come out by hand, but the main thing is to find out why it snapped off, only on old blocks this is normally the case and a simple timesert fix's the thread

pugpete1108

i think it was just cr*p in the thread, i stupidly didnt clean out the threads before i re fitted the head.

i thought it would be ok but i know at least one was tight when it went in.

hopefully it will come out easy enough then ill go through them all and clean them out before i refit it again.

Josh_Quant

i think it was just cr*p in the thread, i stupidly didnt clean out the threads before i re fitted the head.

i thought it would be ok but i know at least one was tight when it went in.

hopefully it will come out easy enough then ill go through them all and clean them out before i refit it again.

and grease them :lol:

pugpete1108

and grease them :lol:

i actually did that, wasnt till i got the bolts down to the last tightening angle that it got tight.

james_pug

I've got some stud extractors if you want to borrow them Pete.

pugpete1108

Yeah cheers James, I might need them.

Will see how tight it is first

Richie-Van-GTi

Just remember to lay a cloth over the block before any attempts. Prevent and filings etc from dropping into open cylinders.

pugpete1108

will do cheers.

another thing, can i just replace the one bolt? i only ask as ecp only list them as single bolts.or is it advisable to do the whole set.

pugpete1108

ive looked at a full set of ten, this set to be precise:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280993293238?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619

i have emailed the bloke and he assures me they are the correct ones for up to a 2001 306 xu7 engine but they are male torx instead of female ones.

does it make a massive difference provided they are the corrects size and pitch etc.

Richie-Van-GTi

Don't worry too much about the head on the bolt. Ive went between male and female torx before without issue. Its just a manufacturer difference. Personally I prefer a male on the bolt and female sockets. Makes life easier if anything rounds off.

pugpete1108

i was thinking id prefer a male bolt for the same reasons.

coolio i'll buy them then, cheers.

tried to get a pair of mole grips on the broken stud today and it wasnt going anywhere so stud extractor it is then