• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pugpete1108

Snapped Head Bolt.....any Advice?

pugpete1108

What size tap do I need for an m11x1.5 helicoil?

I've got the correct bit 11.3

Edited by pugpete1108

Tom Fenton

You need the specific helicoil tap to suit, it's 11x1.5 thread plus twice the section of the insert. You also need double depth inserts to do it properly.

pugpete1108

Where did you get yours?

I'll pop down my local place tomorrow but on their website they don't even list an m11 kit let alone a double length one

Alan_M

The kits also come with the insertion tool, and the tool that breaks off the 'tang' on the insert (can't remember the technical term for it).

No point in buying anything till you've got the rest of that headbolt and remnants of the drillbit out!

pugpete1108

Well managed to get the bit of drill bit out, it looked sh@gged anyway so kept on drilling with bigger bits, snapped a bigger piece of bit off in there.

So have given up, engine now stripped and the rest is off the the scrappy along with a lot if other heavy metal which will pay for another bottom end I've sourced.

Cheers for the advice and encouragement but its defeated me.

Edited by pugpete1108

Alan_M

Going to clean out the threads this time? :ph34r:

pugpete1108

Don't even go there.......

I'm kicking myself as it could all have been prevented if I wasn't too naive to think it would 'be ok'

So no probably not :)