• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
scottbarton

Removing And Replacing Black Tailgate Panel - How To

scottbarton

Finally got round to doing this at the weekend, and for anyone who does not know, it is actually a simple process.

1. Remove internal plastic boot cover. Plastic barbed clips simply pull out exposing the wiper motor, boot lock etc.

Picture005_zps10650923.jpg2. Remove fork that secures boot lock and unclip the metal rod from the lock.

3. Carefully remove badges. I warmed a small table knife with a gas gun and slid it underneath the badge. The hot knife goes through the adhesive...like a hot knife through butter!

4. Remove what's left of the 4 x metal retaining clips that are holding the panel on. 2 out of 4 of mine were nothing more than strands of rust.

5. Remove boot lock

6. Slide old panel off applying pressure downwards. Do not pull off towards you as it will crack the sides (if they are not already cracked). Once off you will be amazed at the amount of dirt that has accumulated over 20+ years! There will be a locating hole with a plastic spike that you need to push through from the inside. Mine was actually missing and sealed over with sealant.

7. If replacing with a new panel (i was), line up the edges and slide up. A certain amount of pressure is needed equally on both sides to inch it up. The plastic spike that is located in the hole above left of the boot lock is on the new panel. I gently tapped the bottom with a rubber mallet on either side to achieve this. Once the plastic spike pops through the hole you are there.

8. Fix new metal retainer clips.

Picture001_zps7fa826af.jpg9. Refit boot lock. At this point I applied a blob of silicone sealant around the plastic spike from inside the boot to prevent water ingress. Refit metal securing fork to boot lock.

Picture002_zpsf9b02649.jpg10. Fit new badges, refit interior panel.

Job jobbed!

Picture003_zpsb4feb2e4.jpg

gavbrum

I fooked mine by putting it on with tiger seal. Messy stuff! Couldn't find new clips in time.

Where did you get yours?

Edited by gavbrum

Kezzer30

I fooked mine by putting it on with tiger seal. Messy stuff! Couldn't find new clips in time.

Where did you get yours?

I smoothed mine and tigersealed it on haha

scottbarton

Had 5 in a bag with all the load of parts I bought last year from another member on here. Have so many bags of odds and ends I have not even gone through yet! I think I have new clips for everything on the whole car!

scottbarton

Lucky you. They are NFP :(

I have one left....maybe I should eBay it! lol! Did not realise they were nfp!

commievid

How about the black panel, was that a genuine part too?

scottbarton

How about the black panel, was that a genuine part too?

Yep. And so were the badges, all new in Peugeot bags. GTI badge was 2nd hand but in exceptional condition.

pug_ham

Isn't there also a small locking ring on the locating pin through the hatch with just to the side of the lock that often gets missed & damages the rear slatted panel?

g

farmer

Should be a foam washer to! which again is NFP.

Gav i have your clips and foam washer here. Do you still want them ?

I have 60 clips just to rub it in ^_^

Going by Gavs calculations i have 6 grands worth of clips nice :)

Edited by farmer

gavbrum

Yeah I've paid for them so damn right I want them!! :D

You free next Thursday?

I'll be in the Pans then.

scottbarton

Isn't there also a small locking ring on the locating pin through the hatch with just to the side of the lock that often gets missed & damages the rear slatted panel?

g

Hmm...interesting....? The plastic pin was missing off my old panel, with the hole sealed with some sealant. New panel is on pretty damn tight, and I just applied sealant around the pin from inside to stop water ingress.

farmer

If your wanting a hogg ring i have loads will chuck one in the post. They come in 50s.

Edited by farmer

scottbarton

Cheers mate, let me know how much to cover the postage. PM me and I will reply with my address.

farmer

Would offer you a foam washer as well but means taking whole board off. Send me your address i won't be needing 60 pence though !

• Like 1

scottbarton

Would offer you a foam washer as well but means taking whole board off. Send me your address i won't be needing 60 pence though !

Lol! Cheers mate... ;-)