• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Shakey_Jake

306 Gti-6 Rear Axle

Shakey_Jake

Right then here's how the story goes. Got a 306 gti6 rear axle in my garage which is a mates but he will sell it to me for a decent price as he sold his 306 so now has no need for it.

So I've done a little search and have a few questions.

First up, as the 306 beam is quite a bit wider than my 205 beam which companies can do a chop and weld my torsion bars and anti roll bar as they have to take quite a lot of stress to cope with so will need a decent job on them, also who has had this done with or with out success? Or what are people opinions on it?

Secondly, are the trailing arms a direct fit to use my current 1.9 gti disc brake set up?

Thirdly, the beam also comes with Koni shocks which are set for a fast road 306 and also the weight of it, would these be better than bilsteins (b6 I think) that are on it?

Thanks

Jakey

Edit to add: for reference it's track car only

Edited by Shakey_Jake

j_turnell

You can only respline the arb not the torsion bars, there's not enough metal on the torsion bars to respline them i'm afraid. You can use the complete trailing arm, although it will be slightly wider due to the abs.

If your already running 205 billies i'd stick with those and flog the 306 konis.

Shakey_Jake

Cheers,

How much wider are the 306 anti roll bars than the 205 1.9 ones? I might have mis-searched that info.

stef205

You can cut the arb and weld one end to the arb end plate, I've done this on mine been fine for 3 years. Torsion bars are no use unless you can get them resplined. I also use the gti6 arms which one a 205 will give negative camber and toe in.

pug_ham

Torsion bars are no use unless you can get them resplined.

You cannot get the torsion bars resplined to suit, the ends are already the same diameter as the splines needed to fit the radius arm or centre tube as the 205 & there is not enough material on a 20mm torsion bar to make up the difference, the main section of the bar is already narrower than the splines.

g