• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dt_

Steam From Dipstick; Loss Of Oil

dt_

Hi all, just started to lose oil from my 205 1.6 auto, it seems to be escaping through the dipstick hole as the area surrounding the dipstick has been coated in oil and it is dripping off the subframe and gearbox. Was running it today and pulled out the dipstick to see a lot of steam/smoke escaping.

Was just trying to get to the bottom of this, could it be wrong oil type, as I put some semi synthetic 5w 40 in, a blocked breather, or something more serious? Starting to worry me a bit now

Any help appreciated, thanks

kyepan
Example: Worn out 1.6 litre engine at 6500RPM
S = 1.6
N = 6500
Blow-by rate = 3% (0.03)
V = 1.6 x 6500 x 0.03 = 156 litres per minute
although 1% is more likely for an engine with reasonable rings..

Check the breathers first, remember you will still be getting tens of litres of blow by per minute , it has to go somewhere. If your dip stick top is falling apart, that will stop it sealing and make any pressurisation worse, get a new one from eBay.

Then after you're sure you have clean breathers and the dip stick is ok... If it still does it, a leak down test would be ideal for checking if the rings have gone. find a friendly garage, or a mate with a compressor and leak down test. You'll need to know when the cylinder you're testing is on the compression stroke, but that's not too hard.

Cheers

J

Edited by kyepan

dt_

Cheers for the response, it's only recently started doing this it has not gradually built up. Not so much worried about the steam- more about the oil being forced out of the top of the dip stick. Maybe a good service an pipe clean out is in order

pug_ham

Oil being forced up the dipstick tube is a sign of a pressurised crankcase which hints at piston ring blow by imo, not a good sign but it could be simply due to a blocked breather.

When did you last service it because smoke is also a sign of an engine needing a service.

g

Carbs4me

2 of my 205's have done this, once i was that bad everytime you floored it it would kindly coat my engine/bay in oil.

The second one would slightly give out oil not quite as much... many months tinkering it round one of the rings finally went.

Does the dip stick keep poping out when been rev'd?

dt_

Just been driving around town for a bit, took it home, popped the bonnet and revved it almost as far as it would go and there was no oil or smoke. The engine runs really well starts first time every time and pulls fine, wouldn't a piston ring give rough running or lack of power?

Edit - the dipstick is not popping out. Could I have overfilled with oil or maybe using the wrong grade?

Edited by dt_
  • Like 1

pug_ham

You could have over filled it, how much did you put in?

A GTI takes a full 5l container for a service with filter to have the right amount in but depending on the year of your auto, it might take less.

g

dt_

Again cheers for the help, stripped down the airbox pipes and breather hoses, cleared out a fair but not excessive amount of mayo, blew them all through and the oil problem has stopped. It seems to run a bit sweeter too!