• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Krish

Clutch Cable Help

Krish

Hi all,

Was hoping my first post on here wouldn't be asking for help! :(

Got my 205GTI yesterday and as we were coming off the motorway, took it out of gear but couldn't select any other gear as the clutch pedal just stayed at the bottom of the footwell and didn't return to its normal position.

Managed to limp home (luckily I live 2 minutes from the motorway) had a look under the bonnet and found the clutch cable, there were two nuts on the bottom of the thread that seemed loose, so I tightened them and the clutch pedal returned to its normal position, it now goes into gear fine, taking it out today to see if it happens again.

Is this a problem any of you have experienced or do you have any idea what the cause of this was and a solution?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :D

(If this is in the wrong section I apologize in advance, and did do a search but didn't really find anything)

Cheers,

Krish.

pug_ham

What year is your car & where is reverse?

If you have a Be3 gearbox (reverse behind fifth) then you could have been lucky that the cable wasn't located correctly in the gearbox & pressure from using the clutch has finally seated it home so the cable became slack so tightening the two nuts up has removed this & it'll be fine now.

But, if you have a Be1 (reverse next to first & a lock out collar) then although the same could still be the cause, there are a couple of weak spot on the Be1 which could also be the cause.

There is a quadrant which pivots on the gearbox & pushes a pin across to react with the release bearing fork & they are know to shear across the cup where the pin sits in so you don't get sufficient travel but the pin can also fall out if the spring that holds it in place is missing, although I don't think you can adjust the cable tight enough to get it working if the pin is missing. :unsure:

g

Krish

If you have a Be3 gearbox (reverse behind fifth) then you could have been lucky that the cable wasn't located correctly in the gearbox & pressure from using the clutch has finally seated it home so the cable became slack so tightening the two nuts up has removed this & it'll be fine now.

But, if you have a Be1 (reverse next to first & a lock out collar) then although the same could still be the cause, there are a couple of weak spot on the Be1 which could also be the cause.

There is a quadrant which pivots on the gearbox & pushes a pin across to react with the release bearing fork & they are know to shear across the cup where the pin sits in so you don't get sufficient travel but the pin can also fall out if the spring that holds it in place is missing, although I don't think you can adjust the cable tight enough to get it working if the pin is missing. :unsure:

g

Thanks for the reply,

It's an 1989, Be1 gearbox.

Took it out today and it drove fine, so hopefully it may have sorted its self out ;)

(Tried to put pictures of the car up but they are too big haa :P)

Krish

farmer

g

Yes, Graham you cant adjust it enough. A freind lost a pin and couldnt get any clutch control. Krish if you find out you need a new quadrant i have a very slightly used quadrant that would do the job and a new pin if required.

Krish

Yes, Graham you cant adjust it enough. A freind lost a pin and couldnt get any clutch control. Krish if you find out you need a new quadrant i have a very slightly used quadrant that would do the job and a new pin if required.

Ok thanks :)

what does the quadrant look like?

I've ordered the Haynes manual so guessing it'll be in there then i can check on the car.

Krish

farmer

Its on top of the gearbox its an L shape. What year is your GTI ?

pug_ham

It's an 1989, Be1 gearbox.

What year is your GTI ?

:rolleyes:

farmer

:rolleyes:

Ha woops didn't see that post :blush: ! As above could well be that quadrant.

One other thing that comes to mind that went wrong on my car also, was the holder bracket for the clutch cable it had bent slightly due to corrosion making the plastc "cup" not sit right hence making the cable "jump" as a such.

Edited by farmer

Krish

Alright i'll check later this week as i keep the car at my grandads garage so its dry stored :)

As i said, earlier went on a half hour drive and the clutch was fine

The rubber seal on the bulkhead for cable seemed a bit loose so give it push and it seemed to click in to place, so hopefully it was just that.

Krish

pug_ham

The rubber seal on the bulkhead for cable seemed a bit loose so give it push and it seemed to click in to place, so hopefully it was just that.

If the cable has been replaced recently then it is possible they bulkhead grommet wasn't located home properly before but they usually seat home within the first few times of using the clutch.

g

chris-gti

I had a similar issue with mine, turned out the clutch cable was either the wrong one or a crap attempt at a pattern part and it didn't fit the bulk head properly, every now and again it would move and the clutch pedal would go slack and the pin between the L shaped arm and the actuator lever on the gearbox would drop out. I have since drilled a small hole in this and put some lock wire round it and replaced the cable with the correct one. if it's not been mentioned already It's also worth whipping the L shaped arm off and cleaning the bolt, greasing the bush and putting it all back as they go tight with corrosion. I treat it as a service item on mine.

farmer

I would also replace the bolt and plastic bushes if the pivots off.

There should be a plain washer underneath the pivot going by service box

Edited by farmer