• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pugpete1108

Electrical Woes Now, No Lights Or Horn

pugpete1108

Whilst working on the car today I noticed that the reverse light was on constantly with the ignition on? Even with the switch unplugged. And no continuity between the switch wires??

Then found out I have no lights at all, no dash/heater illumination along with no horn.

I thought switch at first but tested an old 405 one (can't guarantee it was a working one mind) and still nothing?

Can anyone point out anything obvious before I start tracing wires etc.

Cheers

welshpug

Have you done any wiring work at all recently?

pugpete1108

Apart from wiring a proper plug on the reversing light switch wires and re earthing the drivers front earths behind the headlight. Oh and wiring in the wideband O2 ( that was just a plug change tho)

I did extend all the wires that go from the passenger to the drivers lights?

So yeah a little :)

AndyCrom

what work were you doing on the car today?

pugpete1108

Basically it was all working before I removed the engine again a few weeks ago, then all I've touched wiring wise is as I've said above.

I can see anything on the front end having any effect on the dash lights? Headlights yeah maybe but not the dash lights.

I've been scouring the wiring diagram and I think it could be a loose connection on the fuse board wire number 55 which basically looks like it tells everything to light up.

The rev lights will need some more investigation as its a very simple circuit not connected to the above, so must have been when I wired the plug on. (Had spade connectors on before).

pugpete1108

Well I've found out what is going on.

When I wired the rev light plug it seems that one stray peice of wire had poked through the heatshrink and cause a closed circuit thus making the light stay on with the ignition.

And the headlight issue I guess is caused by this

2C53618F-DAE8-432B-B956-398D736D466E-538

Wire 55 has shorted out and made a right mess. I'm going to need to remove the fuse box to check the circuit isn't fried and also replace the yellow plug or at least the connector on wire 55