• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
N3VRAM

Totoyta Celica Oil Issue.

N3VRAM

Hopefully this is in the right place...

Just bought my second car a few month ago, 2001 Celica 1.8 vvti and its drinking ALOT of oil. I'm filling the thing up once a week near enough, looking into this problem I've found the below:

"Its nothing to do with rounding of the pistons its the oil runaways / oil control rings inside the piston. If you don't change oil regularly (Though blow by can cause this) the oil gets dirty and because their weren't enough runaways cut into the early pistons which meant different areas of piston ran hotter and colder than one and another under heat and pressure the oil goes under chemical change and runaways / rings become clogged meaning oil goes up into combustion chamber rather back into sump. Toyota knew about this problem and replaced under warranty engine blocks that had become faulty if they had full service history. Prefacelift 1zzfe celicas gen 7 had only 4 runaway holes cuts in each of the pistons the new design had 8 per piston and added slit to the ring groove to help cooling and stop carbon build up to stop this oil burning problem. This problem also effected other cars that used the 1zzfe engine.

That's why on the early 1zzfe engines oil changing regularly is vital to keep it running well. Changing at 10,000 is probably not best idea and probably half that for safety especially in Britain where many of us don't do long drives.

I have attached Toyota technical documentation.Its nothing to do with rounding of the pistons its the oil runaways / oil control rings inside the piston. If you don't change oil regularly (Though blow by can cause this) the oil gets dirty and because their weren't enough runaways cut into the early pistons which meant different areas of piston ran hotter and colder than one and another under heat and pressure the oil goes under chemical change and runaways / rings become clogged meaning oil goes up into combustion chamber rather back into sump. Toyota knew about this problem and replaced under warranty engine blocks that had become faulty if they had full service history. Prefacelift 1zzfe celicas gen 7 had only 4 runaway holes cuts in each of the pistons the new design had 8 per piston and added slit to the ring groove to help cooling and stop carbon build up to stop this oil burning problem. This problem also effected other cars that used the 1zzfe engine.

That's why on the early 1zzfe engines oil changing regularly is vital to keep it running well. Changing at 10,000 is probably not best idea and probably half that for safety especially in Britain where many of us don't do long drives.

I have attached Toyota technical documentation."

and a link too http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/toyota/30438/toyota-engine-woes where it states that Toyota are aware of the issue and will replace the engine provided the car has a full service history - which mine has. However, obviously this car is 12 years old now - am I likely to get laughed at if I ring my local Toyota garage and asked if this can be fixed free of charge?

Just want opinions other than 'you should never have bought a Toyota in the first place' - wish I hadn't!

dcc

How many miles do you do a week.

Anthony

Do the Celica's suffer from the same pre-cat breakup issue that the MR2's with the same engine do? That tends to show up as high oil consumption initially, caused by bits of the pre-cat being sucked back into the cylinder and scoring it...

DamirGTI

Not the Honda but ,

I've done a full rebuild of my dad's Nissan Almera 1.5 16v .. it's a 2002 redesign model with basically new generation QG engine series ..

We bought it new , was serviced at the OE dealer from the start , well maintained and not trashed ... but always a little thirsty on oil :)

Dunno which oil they've used at the dealers , they've said just "synthetic 5-30w" no names about the brand ..

Eventually the performance also started to became an issue , was getting slower but yet was a low mileage car ?!?

Then i decided to f*** the OE dealers service , and do servicing by myself for my dad ..

I tried all makes brands types of engine oils , none of it didn't make the difference - was using 1l of oil per week !! , but compression was top noch , no leaks , no smoke from exhaust ...

Finally , one day the engine check light lit up and my dad called me that the engine lost almost all of it's power .. pulled out the code and was saying - CAT issue .. not surprised at all from how much oil it burn out , and yes the CAT was blocked as hell !

Decided to disassemble the engine and see what's wrong (was @ 110,000 Kms at that time) :

172839209719b4c43169433fe9aa59115623ca3e

17283919b614e181460c7fa107e1aa7bd9038e74

17283917f204aafb88ea80c0072c9579ac489d75

1728391802b8dfdde703abb095f6c1d9f1fa8bbb

17283916be94e11c6bb80df608591898d2c8a900

172839156b760a1d4d057ea55eb921ed5aaffa68

... :ph34r:

D B)

Edited by DamirGTI