• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
SSN11

Gearbox Help

SSN11

Hi guys,

Looking for some help and advice. I am new to the Gti world. I have a 1988 205 Gti 1.9 and last night I lost all gear selection, looked under the car and gearbox oil was pouring out the driveshaft. Not had a look at it properly yet but reckoning some thing big has gone inside :(

Found a few gearboxes but there all 1.6 Be3. So is it a simple swap to the 1.6 gearbox??

Thanks for any help.

Sean

brumster

Was it the right hand side?

Could be the age old joy of the driveshaft pulling off the intermediate bearing and slipping out of the box - you would lose drive and then, a short while after once it's ditched all the oil, potentially further damage to the box.

If you've only lost drive but can still select gears, you might not be too bad off - if it is the above issue.

SSN11

Might not be to bad then fingers crossed. Yer it's on the right hand side.

While engine is runing I can't select gears but when engine is stopped it selects gears no problems.

I was parking the car when it started to play up, that's when I seem the oil pouring under the car. When I get a good Internet connection I will post a vid of it.

Thanks for the help mate.

Sean

brumster

Don't run it any more, if there's no oil in the box. Even when you're not moving, there are still plenty of bits of gearbox still moving around with just the engine running!

Just check if the right hand driveshaft is out of the box - jack that side up, stick it in gear and see if you can turn the wheel. Or just visually inspect if the shaft isn't fully home in the diff (should be easy to spot really).

Tom Fenton

In addition to the checks above also check that all the engine to gearbox bolts are in and tight, especially the one at the bottom/back that goes from the engine towards the gearbox. It is not uncommon for these to be loose or missing, the gearbox can then move away from the engine and give the problems with the driveshaft not engaging properly. But as above do not run it until you sort the gearbox oil level.

SSN11

Ok thanks guys, well car is on the base with me no tools herr so the AA can recover me home and I can get her into the garage and have a look will report back 2m.

If the drive shaft has just popped out is it a simple push it back in or do is there oil seals that I might have destroyed??

Thanks

Sean

brumster

It will probably push back in but you will have two issues..

1) The problem with it slipping off the bearing will just happen again, so you need to get it out and find out what's allowed it to pull out. With luck the "hockey stick" bolts holding the bearing in place have loosened (or the nuts fell off completely) and they can be tightened/refitted - but do check that they're still straight and not bent. If they are not loose, then the shaft has pulled itself through the bearing, so the only answer here is to remove the driveshaft and 'tap' the bearing back along it and, personally, I'd tack weld it in place carefully. Either than or fit a new driveshaft.

2) If it's come out you may have ground off the end of the splines on the shaft, if it's not pulled out fully and cleanly. What I mean is, if it partially came out you might find the end of the diff has ground away at a few mm of the splines on the end of the shaft. If this is the case, it might not push in cleanly, and you might technically not have quite so much spline engaged, but you can probably live with it. In summary, it's probably worth check the end of the spline for damage.

All in all, it will push back in as a "get you home" kind of solution but realistically you're probably looking at getting a new driveshaft and swapping it in for peace of mind.

That's assuming, of course, that's what the problem is!

SSN11

Brumster, thanks for that. AA picked car up today and she is home on the drive. He thinks the gearbox was about to seize.

Any way will have a look 2m and get the drive shaft out.

Thanks again mate.

Sean

SSN11

Hi guys

I got the leaking drive shaft out this morning. And the dif seal was all ripped up so here is hoping that is the issue. But I can't get a new seal any where locally. So eBay it is. But has any one got the oem part number

Thanks

Sean

brumster

3121 44 (LH) / 3121 46 (RH)

Edited by brumster

SSN11

Cheers dude. Top help :)

Just hope that's the issue.

brumster

Well, yes, must emphasise you get to the bottom of what's caused the problem - otherwise it's only going to happen again! Fingers crossed for you.

chris-gti

Problem is most likely the bearing retaining collar on the shaft if it's the RH shaft as these are just a press fit.

iphone1_zpse78bdd7b.jpg

The one I've pictured is roughly in the right place but basically the collar moves off down the shaft toward the gearbox which allows the bearing to move causing the shaft to come away from the gearbox. The best thing to do is set it all up in the car making sure everything runs freely then spot weld the collar in position in two places. this will stop it sliding off.

I would recommend replacing the bearing before you do this as replacement after spot welding the collar in place will be require grinding the welds out. The bearing is a 6006-2RS if i remember correctly. available on ebay for about £7.00 delivered on ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FAG-BRANDED-RUBBER-SEALED-BEARING-All-Sizes-/310419496550?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item4846719e66

Hope this is of some use.

iphone2_zps98369f79.jpg

as already stated check the splines are intact and not butchered (1) and the shaft should sit far enough into the gearbox that the seal sits on the larger diameter section (2) or it'll leak like a sieve again.

EDIT: Don't tell the missus i've had car parts on the coffee table

Edited by chris-gti
  • Like 1

SSN11

Thanks for all the help guys

I changed the drive shaft seals and the leak started again soon as I went of the drive. Oh well. I am going to sea for 3months next week so that's her parked up on te drive and feeling sad. Will continue this thread when I return.

Thanks again for all te help.

Slo

Did you check the gearbox to engine bolts? There are 4 and can undo and as tom said the one at the back next to the where the oil is coming from can come completely out,mine was missing. I had this exact same issue and it started off with reverse starting to grind then all of them because as the box comes undone and moves away from the engine the clutch release bearing cant push in far enough to disengage it hence the grinding gears, soon followed by the shaft pulling out (as its secured to the rear engine mounting) and pools of oil following it. If its a new oil seal you have fitted and oil is still coming out of it then it has to be the box bolts or the shaft has pulled through the bearing and its collar.

• Like 1

S@m

3121 44 (LH) / 3121 46 (RH)

Just for everyone's info - the LH diff seal part number 312144 changed to 1608816780 about a year ago.

• Like 1

chris-gti

Did you check the gearbox to engine bolts? There are 4 and can undo and as tom said the one at the back next to the where the oil is coming from can come completely out,mine was missing. I had this exact same issue and it started off with reverse starting to grind then all of them because as the box comes undone and moves away from the engine the clutch release bearing cant push in far enough to disengage it hence the grinding gears, soon followed by the shaft pulling out (as its secured to the rear engine mounting) and pools of oil following it. If its a new oil seal you have fitted and oil is still coming out of it then it has to be the box bolts or the shaft has pulled through the bearing and its collar.

yeah I also had that issue a few months after a rebuild, re-tightened and torqued a bit harder than before. although mine didn't go as far as dropping oil before the clutch stopped disengaging. Worth going round these every service just to check they are all still tight.

SSN11

I had a good toque to FT but that was it. If I had more time I would look at the ideas you have brought up. But if HQ finds me in the garage again I will get strung. I will have to look again in June when I get home :( maybe its time just to ditch the 8v and get a Mi16 in there