• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
welshpug

One For The Dealer Techies, 2007 Relay Battery Going Flat.

welshpug

At work I have a 2007 Citroen Relay3 LWB 35 2.2 HDI (120 bhp puma engine, the f***ing ford one!)

Lovely van to drive nicely matched engine and box (6 speed in this one) Very comfy and pretty good on fuel for its size.

It has a 2 year old battery which takes charge fine, alternator pushing out 14.4 volts consistently, but if left for a few days especially in the winter the battery will be deaddy dead, wont even flash then indicators on the plip, though dash lights will come on.

Are there any known issues that'll cause this? All instruments lights etc are functioning correctly, so not sure where to start.

pugdamo

Could be anything really,do a current draw check,see what sort of amp draw you have,then its a matter of isolating the circuit.

Leave the multimeter connected and disconnect starter,if no change disconnect alternator if no change then just go through the fuseboards pulling fuses to find the circuit that the fault is on,once you find the circuit its normally pretty easy to find.

Tom Fenton

I would disconnect the battery before leaving it over the weekend. Monday morning put it back and see what it does. If it fires up OK then it is a current draw issue. If if doesn't then the battery is u/s.

welshpug

Will give that a try Tom, I do hope its not the battery as its a big bugga! (110 Ah 020)

Unfortunate thing is it hardly gets used, only 14k on the clock and was on 9.5k when I started working there 2.5 years ago.

thug pug

Not really known for anything apart from lack of use (we get a lot of campers in with battery issues) if you do an amp check you should get no more than 0.04 amps draw after letting the BSI go to sleep any more then there is a circuit not shuting down and keeping the BSI awake.

welshpug

Just a bit of an update, stuck my own battery off a TD pug, code escapes me but its the 55 AH unit.

Started fine, though I had to space the thing up about 2" so the leads would reach! Left it on overnight and started the next day, a little hesitant but fired all the same, guess the lower CCA showing itself there, started fine the day after too IIRC.

Meanwhile I stick the 95 AH unit on charge (note lower than I stated above, all internet searches state it should be a 110 AH unit, check SB and they list two)

Green light comes on, stick it on the van first thing yesterday and it fires up, give it a drive all fine, leave it till this afternoon and its dead as a dead thing, plonk it on charge and the green "Full" light comes on within half an hour, but it wont even turn over.

Guess that one is dead, its only 2 years old :/ Once I have the thing alive I'll do some tests to see if there's anything still live draining it.

pug_ham

If the battery is only 2 years old it should have a minimum 3 year guarantee so take it back to the point of purchase & have it replaced for a new one.

The fact you swapped it out for one with a lower ampage & that worked fine shows this battery has a dead cell or at least a weak one.

g

welshpug

Indeed, I had a look through the paperwork for the Van and found no receipts unfortunately, but it is a Peugeot/Citroen branded unit so likely to have come from the dealer we usually use, I checked the SB price and they're about £195 :o