• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
BlueBolt

206 Gti Cambelt Change

BlueBolt

I've got a cambelt change to do on 2 different 206's.

The first is a GTI. Not a 180.

The second is a 206CC. 1.6

Having been speaking to a mate of mine, he came out with an extremely vague comment that "he'd heard of one of the Peugeot's being an absolute bitch to do cambelt change on".

With this in mind I thought I'd just see if anyone has anything other than pulley movement that I need to be aware of, or any "special" tool I may need to get the job done too??

My thoughts about my mate's comment are that he's talking about the v6... But who knows?? It could be any of them from his great description!!

BlueBolt

What's happened to my spacing out of the thread?? It's all gone and is in one bock...!!??

welshpug

EW will need special tools due to the shape of the crank pinning tool at the rear of the block into the flywheel, but is much the same as a 16v XU otherwise, a little tight on space.

The TU5 will be a doddle comparatively, doable with DIY pins made from bolts or steel rod.

best bet is to get on the 206 forum as they have a lot of peugeot workshop manual stuff, you'll find a lot via google.

BlueBolt

That's good then.

The 1.6 is more definite than the gti, so I'll give them a bit of a high quote and they'll go else where... Just wanted to make sure the 1.6 was going to be as I thought.

I'll do some more looking into it when I get home from work, thought the PSCUK forum would reply quickly but nothing as yet lol

BlueBolt

best bet is to get on the 206 forum as they have a lot of peugeot workshop manual stuff, you'll find a lot via google.

Did this!!

Not doing it!!

Need tools I haven't got as you said to lock off the crank pulley!!

TU job it is then!! just got to find the parts at a good price!! Job for the morning though.

DamirGTI

I use rope for this occasions :)

1 disable ignition

2 remove just one spark plug

3 rotate the engine by hand and bring the piston on that cylinder just near the TDC (TDC of compression stroke !!)

4 stuff some rope inside the cylinder with long pick trough the spark plug hole

5 when done , slowly turn the engine by hand further to the TDC on that cylinder until the rope locks the piston up the combustion chamber (it wont damage the valves nor the piston , i've done this a fair few times on various engines without any issue ..)

6 now you can undo the crank pulley bolt

D B)

.. fitting/tightening the bolt back is the same trick

Edited by DamirGTI