• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Samson1886

Gti6 Inlet Manifold Into Zx16V Rfy

Samson1886

Hi, someone told me our RFY inlet manifold will go kaboom if wiring short circuit. It will caused backfiring.

Is it true? Can some care to explain how would this happen and can be prevented?

On RFY engine, I believe there are many folks had plug / replace with GTi6 inlet manifold.

Will this require huge wiring modification?

Is the RFY wiring looms need to be replaced or change for this modification?

My friends told me we need to use XU10J2 (RFX, I think) wiring looms with M.Marelli ECU for this conversion. Please comment.

Thanks!

Vili

There is no reason for inlet manifold to cause backfire. Even if the inlet manifold wouldn't work it won't cause anything but slight power loss. I've had two of these engines.

You can replace the RFY inlet with GTI6 inlet it is bolt on job I believe. I also believe I will not need any alteration to wiring since all the sensors in the inlet manifolds are identical between RFY and GTI6. You only need to leave the A.F.P. solenoid disconnected.

Miles

I have seen a few with holes in because of this, the 406's used a pressure valve to get over this on the VVC 3.0 engine,

You can fit but it will need re-mapping

Samson1886

Hi Vili, what I heard is that the RFY Engine with original inlet manifold will go kaboom should the wiring go haywire. I am not sure how true it is thefore need to check with fellow forumers here. The reason it go kaboom is due to some backfiring happen (not sure during or after the combustion).

I do have the same thoughts as yours on GTi6 inlet manifold will be bolted straight to RFY engine without performing modification on the wiring looms.

However, one of my friend mentioned this will caused the idling inconsistent. I am not sure how it happen.

As for A.F.P, I think need to do something instead of leaving it disconnected as there will some signal sense by the ECU?

Hi Miles, thanks for your input. Using pressure valve need to re-map... That is difficult task at my end here...

I am looking forward to bolt on GTi6 inlet manifold, just need to be sure on the wiring side prior this. Anyone here have any comments?

How about the power? Will there be a huge differences on power if compare with RFY inlet manifold?

Edited by Samson1886

petert

If the engine backfires, it "may" crack. It may also live for 320000Km. Late model 205 GTi's and XU10J4R suffer from the same "possible" problem.

Miles

No idle issue's at all, You need to extend the TPS wires slightly thou, swap all the ZX parts over thou

welshpug

Personally I wouldn't bother having done one such conversion myself in a 205, if you really do want that inlet, fit the gti6 engine, more torque and power, newer, much neater engine bay.

Samson1886

Miles & Welshpug,

Thanks for your valuable input.

My mechanic's garage do have one gti6 engine at the moment. Perhaps it would be an ideal to fit the entire gti6 engine instead. Again depending on the cost & my budget of course.

One last thing, should I fit this gti6 engine, can I retain the original ZX16V wiring looms?

welshpug

No, use the gti6 loom+ecu

Samson1886

Thanks Welshpug.

I assume this conversion also apply to wiring looms on dashboard which needed to use GTI6 wiring looms as well?

welshpug

no, you only need the engine loom.