• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
madspikes

Slipping Clutch - Supercharged Pug

madspikes

The 205 is in the mists of its winter tweaking / rebuilding and current attention has turned to the clutch. The clutch didn’t slip all the time, but certainly did when the wheel hooked up and didn’t spin when giving it death during quick gear changes.

The car is running a LUK mi16 clutch, with less than 15k miles. Now I'm not sure if it the torque of the supercharger is too much for the clutch spec, or if it’s that the clutch is warn. I have taken the clutch apart and measured it and taken some photos, now I'm looking for some advice. Basically is this clutch knackered, I don’t think it is, and if it’s not, what should I be looking to upgrade it to.

The plate current measures 8.15mm in total thickness and the groves are still around 1mm deep.

post-2857-0-22607400-1359839488_thumb.jpg

post-2857-0-37446100-1359839496_thumb.jpg

Thanks,

Mad

welshpug

friction plate looks perfect, however pressure plate shows signs of getting warm.

if its purely on gear changes, you need to improve your timing!

maybe a heavier duty pressure plate would help.

madspikes

friction plate looks perfect, however pressure plate shows signs of getting warm.

if its purely on gear changes, you need to improve your timing!

maybe a heavier duty pressure plate would help.

Fair comments, I think! :lol:

Did feel like maybe the clutch was maybe releasing quick enough.

"maybe a heavier duty pressure" - Like what for example?

Mad.

allanallen

Mine hasn't covered as many miles as yours mad but the Valeo mi16 clutch fitted has never slipped. That's with a plated diff and in honesty i can be a bit 'rough' with it at times! it's done a couple of trackdays on 888s too

madspikes

Humm... maybe oil leakage onto the clutch as the box did leak oil.

mad

Tom Fenton

Not sure what torque yours makes, but my car makes over 200 ftlb and the only time an Mi clutch ever slipped was for about 100 miles whilst it bedded into the flywheel (in hindsight should have had flywheel faced off).

Mine also delivers it with a real wallop, so with the more linear supercharger delivery I would have thought in good order the clutch should be up to the job.

One of my previous plans was to have the flywheel machined flat for s bit more clamp pre load- look carefully at the flywheel and you'll notice that the section the cover bolts to is slightly raised compared to the friction face.

Dizzee stuff

Not sure of the torque your pushing but a paddle clutch should cope no problem.

madspikes

Thanks for all the replies, and they all seem to echo what I thought; the clutch is ok physically and should be able to more than handle the torque from my engine, as it no massive power beast!

From further investigations, the old gearbox is very oily inside and out and the clutch release is VERY stiff.

My current plan is just to give it all a good clean and put it back together, providing the flywheel doesn’t need a skim as it looks a bit rough.

Flywheel.

post-2857-0-23339300-1359883353_thumb.jpg

Old gearbox.

post-2857-0-05915700-1359883362_thumb.jpg

Thanks,

Mad.

stef205

Mad,

I'm using a lux clutch in mine and it doesn't slip, my bet its the first shaft seal in the bell housing, I had this on my old gearbox.

Strictly_Derv

Have you considered using a 306 DT clutch set up? They cope with up to 250ft-lbs fairly well on turbo cars. Mine mainly slipped due to age and a big turbo chucking in lots of torque at once.

cyman

mad, i have a twin plate paddle clutch and flywheel if you are interested.

dave.

madspikes

mad, i have a twin plate paddle clutch and flywheel if you are interested.

dave.

Thanks for the offer, but as I have cleaned everything up and put the car back together. I think the issue was mainly down to small amounts of oil getting into the clutch.

Mad.