• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Shakey_Jake

Trackcar Windscreen De-Mist

Shakey_Jake

Howdy all, I've pulled the heater matrix and blowers out of my track car and the only means of clearing a misted windscreen are this:-

50e30e45f8ebb68ab1eb4aa13e05dbe4.jpg

Which is great first off but need something to keep the screen clear, so what would yous recommend?

What set-ups are other people using and which heaters or fans and ventilation methods?

Thanks in advance,

Jake

Iain-gti

heated windscreen

Shakey_Jake

I was hoping for something about a tenth of the price of a heated screen haha

dcc

you can buy a demisting solution and spray it onto the inside of the windscreen

we used to use it for paintball goggles years ago.

welshpug

simplest solution, stick the heater box back in, it really doesn't weigh that much.

• Like 1

ORB

I always wondered if those small demister units on the rear screen of a 306 cab would be any good for this???

Check item no - 190787057216

allanallen

I've got two cheapo eBay 12v demisters in my track car, they work ok ish but if I could I'd put the heater back in

p1234

Get some rainx, halfords stock it, smear a good lump of it on the night before. One of those little fans seem to work ok too.

Trick is not to get your cloths wet and plug all the holes in the shell. Moisture inside is a disaster.

• Like 1

pugpete1108

I always wondered if those small demister units on the rear screen of a 306 cab would be any good for this???

Check item no - 190787057216

i should imagine they would be good if they still actually heated up, seems a common fault on these (both of mine have done it) that the solder breaks internally and they only blow cold air.

having said that my current one is blowing cold but still clears the rear screen very well.

ive got a spare in the loft which im going to pull apart and check.

very thin unit but long so mouting may be an issue under a 205 dash?

AlexRS2782

One of the previous owners of my Saxo applied RainX to the inside of the screen to deal with the misting up as a result of a leaking sunroof.

Let's just say he applied so much that it was impossible to cut it/buff it off the glass even with decent cleaning products as all that happened every time the screen was clear was when sun hit it directly you could see it was really smeary, so i decided to just get a new screen fitted.

If you want to be forever buffing/polishing the screen to remove smears every time you use the car & it steams up slightly i wouldn't suggest using RainX.

Edited by AlexRS2782

Batfink

Annoying. I'd have ended up getting the jet wash on it with a good soap then sticking the dehumidifier in to dry the car out

AlexRS2782

In the end i decided to just junk the sunroof setup & plate the roof to negate any further leaks :hehe: I did intend to dry the interior out once carpet, etc, was removed but in the end the interior ended up looking like this as i got a bit carried away taking bits out :D (just awaiting cage/seat/harness now):

SaxoVTSInt4.jpg

SaxoVTSInt10.jpg

I've got used to the screen being fairly wet in the exceptionally cold weather & needing to wipe it down with a towel now lol although i've kept the original heater setup to keep it warm in the car & clear the screen whilst on the move :)

Shakey_Jake

Cheers lads, I'll give the 12v heater off eBay a go and make some ducting to help and if that don't work then it's demister pad on a stick!

I only use the car on track but if it becomes a problem then the fans will go back in.

allanallen

Here's my bad boys, don't expect too much from them but at 20 quid a pair they're far better than nothing :P

731.jpg